Good afternoon,

Happy New Year! I hope you had an excellent winter break! I have two exciting updates to share -

  1.  Math Entry Requirement:

Goal: To offer ALEKS assessment to all of our students (first years, transfers, and postbaccs) to meet the math entry requirement for teacher education admissions at no cost.
 Plan: Math Entry Requirement: Beginning with all applicants on January 16th, 2022 (April application cohort) + amnesty for all prior applicants:

     *   Students can meet the math requirement with an ALEKS score of >= 46  with 3 attempts
     *   Or the identified cut score for Praxis Core Math/SAT/ACT
A score of >= 46 represents the recommended cut score for College Algebra or similar courses including Math for Liberal Arts Majors, Mathematics for Elementary School, Elementary Data Analysis. In between each attempt of ALEKS retake, students receive remediation and MUST complete a minimum of a 3 hour learning module in mathematics (they can take much longer as needed).

We will review data this summer and determine if we need to identify a process for students who do not achieve a >=46 score, perhaps with a required course, so that we can hopefully remove the Praxis Core Math/SAT/ACT option.

The process can be found on the ESC website on the application requirements step 2 https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Application-Requirements.pdf or directly at https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/aleks-testing.pdf.

Please share this option with any of your students who still need to meet the math entry requirement. (We will be sending updated acceptance reports to programs next week.)

  1.  Checklist:

Our wonderful ESC colleague, Lauren, developed a very helpful new checklist posted on the ESC website that students can download and use throughout their time in teacher education. https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/admission-checklist.pdf  - please share this with your advisees!

Best,
Dara

Dara Hall, Ph.D. (she/her)
Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success
Education Support Center, MSC 6915
Memorial Hall 7230/40 (temporarily in MH 3270)
JMU College of Education
540-568-2996