Adriana ~

Thank you as always for your wise and beautiful insights, and your reminder
that such conversations require care. So I read your email at least twice,
and read your first article along with enjoying re-watching that TED talk.
I'm going to come from a more personal space in this next reflection,
because it seems like the right time.

Aside from the empirical neurobiological stuff I mentioned in earlier
emails, the experience of being transgender for me took on a few aspects
which I think pertain to elements of UToK. First of all, there was an odd,
indeterminate sense of being "strange" or somehow "off" with regard to
society, which the existence of my other quirks couldn't explain. It was
like a nagging discomfort, like clothes that fit wrong, like a mysterious
darkness through which I fumbled. I relate this phenomenon to the Mental
Plane of the ToK (specifically the Primate level), and the Experiential
Self. Gregg would be better at explaining this of course, but my lived
experience was at odds with my Private Self narrator, which in turn was
informed by my Public Self's self-justification in the Culture-Person
Plane. My Freudian Filter was attempting to keep this at bay. (Capitalizing
UToK terminology.) In Vervaekian terms, my Participatory Knowing
(attunement and knowing by being) was telling me something at a deep level
which my Propositional Knowing (the level of facts and self-justification)
couldn't handle or even grasp.

I was fortunate to have several older women in my life who recognized this
feminine nature, even 25 years ago. They took me under their wing, and
mentored me in things like massage and collecting plants. One in particular
called herself my "old crone mentor." At that point I was simply the young
man who was singularly invited along on women's retreats and hung out with
old women on a regular basis, without any talk of being transgender (these
were small town back-to-the-land farmers, not modern rural SJWs). I found
that I loved this, and that it felt deeply right. From then on, hanging out
with women as friends and interacting as they did became a regular part of
my life, something I craved. It's hard to explain, but there was just a
different way of interacting, like being able to go to coffee and look at
each other while talking about feelings rather than going fishing and
looking together out on to the world (again, small town). Bringing up
specific examples is hard, because of course there are always exceptions to
how men and women behave. But in general, I felt more comfortable and
capable interacting communally rather than agentically, pertaining to the
Influence Matrix in terms of gender.
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_intl_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201907_simple-2Dway-2Dunderstand-2Dthe-2Dorigin-2Dgender-2Droles&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=33mmOt9D6bPgrpjf4PdgGDx_kPL9TAwJ4Om99ZzcwVY&s=bYFVLZAkzg5fwDb_IHF_M663acxVpPfIbEtAI-t5p5A&e= >
As
Gregg writes in the linked article, "It is essential that we recognize that
this human mental architecture existed long before the social construction
of reality (which is perhaps only 50,000 to 150,000 years old), and is
certainly much older than ideas about what is socially justifiable for how
men and women should act in the 21st century."

As a fun side note, after I transitioned, my Old Crone Mentor said, "You
didn't have to do that, honey, we always knew that about you." (But of
course others did not.)

I'm struggling because I could go on and on autobiographically. There were
definitely spiritual aspects to transition for me, as you mentioned,
Adriana. I talked about that part a little in an episode of Voices with
Vervaeke a while back. The general feeling has been wanting to move from
"caring about things" to "caring for things." Being a woman has opened up
new capacities for this. It's just so much simpler to relate to others,
both men and women (and neither). I find myself more enmeshed with others'
needs and feelings. I lost individual social power and strict boundary
definitions, and this was okay. I was KNOWN and valued by significant
others, as Gregg would say.

Along with that, the mysterious darkness burst into colored lights for me,
literally in my mind's eye. I found myself listening repeatedly to the
album Mezzanine by the band Massive Attack to help process the inner
phenomenological experience of beauty emerging from darkness. It was a
magical thing.

Physically speaking, as this mental side woke up, I began to experience
phantom female body parts, which was unbelievably uncomfortable at times.
This has subsided with hormonal treatment and subsequent physical changes.
I actually wish I could cycle naturally, and I have found by accident that
taking progesterone more cyclically improves my sleep and mood. I hope that
in the future, official hormone treatment becomes more nuanced and offers
the possibility of emulating cycles.

I think I'm going on so much to try and demonstrate what might be the
"right" reasons for transitioning. It's not just pain, but a specific type
of pain, combined with a yearning, a homesickness, and the promise of new
potential.

I have found with the teens I work with that they are unable to really
explain themselves in terms of gender, despite all their terminology and
flags. They can't describe the inner experience. A lot of my work has been
to help them elucidate this, to make better decisions about whether they
should transition and where they are really at in terms of gender and
sexuality. This probably relates heavily to a disconnect from the body
(including cycles), and it might be related to your research, Adriana. I
totally hear you that the degradation of the embodied feminine may be
driving some people to a false transition. Conversations in this listserv
are making me rethink this issue.

I don't care if I end up being described by future societies as a "woman"
per se, or as perhaps a third or fourth gender, as other cultures have had.
What I do care about is learning to re-inhabit the feminine and womanhood,
in our unique ways. I do hold reverence for the feminine, and being a
walker between worlds, I hope to help bring new perspectives on both.

With gratitude,
Rachel