I added some content to the enhanced PTB table.  At first I just copied over what Brendan had offered regarding the metric for the evolutionary development at each plane.  Gregg said he disagreed with Integrated information, Φ for mind, since that exists within all planes to some extent, and also MHC within culture, since that is another metric that can be applied to a wide range of life forms.  I’m not sure how to sort this out, but I added an amendment to both of those cells to indicate that the mind metric should also take into account behavioral investment complexity and the culture metric should take into account the complexity of the cultural code.  Also I added two new rows based on what Daniel Schmachtenberger was talking about on several podcast appearances.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkQYgE9O3J2GKVwCiBCVCbhVX88-TOrO/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=117491835000953037563&rtpof=true&sd=true

Also Nicholas, you bring up some very good points, but I do think that this is likely going to have some utility at some point.  People could have similarly wondered back in the 19th century what was the utility of measuring things like electrical current.  It probably wasn’t immediately apparent to everyone what these people were up to.  I’ll admit that I can’t right now think of a practical application of having some sort of metric that is applied to the planes of existence within TOK/PTB or to the evolutionary process in general, but I figure this could prove useful eventually.

Brandon

From: theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Nicholas Lattanzio
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2022 7:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ToK Complexity Metrics?

I'd like to expand on Gregg's last point there and see what others think. As I strongly agree that we are at that precarious point in evolution and human development where that window into direct/indirect but intentional influencing of our own evolutionary process can be done. I dont think I've seen anyone arguing explicitly against that on this listserv.

I also agree by extension with the dire importance of our taking action during this time (enact the future from the potential to the actual).

Where my metaphysics, Nondual Empiricism, differs from UTOK in this area is a small but crucial distinction. That yes we are in this position, can, and should do something about it, and can reasonably agree what to do based on more or less 'objectively' moral and ethical principles that bring us into a oneness with our innate wisdom - which could only be accessed as a feedback loop operating from the person/culture plane of complexity on the most fundamental orders of our and the universes nature through an absolute mess of interactions and emergences across and within orders of nature (what I purport here, RE the OP, is not worth measuring for the sake of some ephemeral window of utility we'd otherwise miss).

As I have mentioned to several of those I have sought advice and insight from, I don't believe in free will as such, I have a sense of agency, it has intelligence, and it's ontogical root of awareness is the same root of all existence (not panpsychism, see Ruper Spira's consciousness/model, it's more like panenpsychism).

We see this play out in terms of organization at the culture/person plane as justification systems, i.e., it is the organization of our justifications (internal working model, schemas, etc) that inform our decision-making beyond the biophysical processes that enable such higher-order thoguth (Mind3). If you went down a level of complexity, BIT represents the nervous systems organization as a manner of sensitively avoiding pain and se see king satiety (love at that level is survival). Going down to the biological level we see retention, selection, and variation as literally evolutionary decison-making. I haven't fully worked out this process/relational ontology for the lower levels quite yet because the feedback loops become exponential (I would argue that is where the room for something like MHC may still provide utility).

Zak and others mentioned what I call the Golden thread or cosmic golden thread, the ONE epistemic ontically expressed at each order, or however you want to say it. So I feel that even though we have this agency and at least feeling of decision-making, it is that intelligent cosmic golden thread that is enacting through our agency the things we call conscious behaviors, and to be experiential in touch with that process is nondual knowing, not separating yourself from the natural intelligent processes of the universe whose context owns your relative existence. It is the same thing as selection, retention, variation.

No one except a deeply misleaded panpsychist would argue that genes themselves consciously or intellectually decided to retain themselves or vary, or be pruned away, which leaves the case for an evolutionary intelligence of sensitivity quite compelling. So I while I think we will enact these necessary changes to bring about the next order of complexity (which let me remind us all has already happened because time is not only linear, this is vertical progression), I don't think we are actually choosing what we're doing, with that we being us as individual agents of choice. I think it is still that sensitive intelligence doing the work, that is the real "us" after all.

But because of the incredible allure and beauty of our conscious experience combined with the unique aspect of self-referential qualities that mind 3 enables of our phenomenogical experience which literally creates the ego as proprioceptive identification ("I am this body and its physical limits are mine") and identification with content/foreground over context/background, if there is any enactment for us to do it is to realize these levels of identification as phenomenological structures representing the filters of our lower levels of complexity, which we just lump into 1 bit called "I."

The real I is consciousness itself, the rest is misidentification with our own natural processes as mere instruments of our humanness, and they will never be actualized from purely within the person/culture plane.

Measurement is the result of JUST, which is the information organizing and sense-making process of evolution at the person/culture plane. To enact measurement is to then reduce humanness, it's a negative feedback loop. We must transcend measurement if we are to truly enact the actualized human, and that process, I argue, cannot itself be measured.

Rant over. Thank you for endulging me. Please point out any errors you see in my thinking. I think it is metaphysics like mine and many others that Gregg would classify as scientific worldview D which UTOK needs to align with versus more of the same in other 3rd person empricisms.

Regards,

Nicholas G. Lattanzio, Psy.D.