Yes, the central point of this article is EXACTLY what I was trying to convey with my description of the Zen practice shikantaza and its possible relation to "Is-ness." I've heard that shikantaza and the Tibetan dzogchen are similar, but I haven't really looked into that. They sure seem to be.

That being said, there is a bit of provincial sectarianism in the article, sort of looking down on Zen koans while talking about Tibetan preliminary practices as a good thing. Like most sectarianism, it ignores the parallels there. Zen koans and awareness practices are also potential preparation for shikantaza, because "just being" is, as the article says, not always so easy. It is of course easy for a person who is relatively new to realization to proclaim that their path is universally the best one to The Truth, which may be happening here - I don't know this person, so maybe I'm just projecting my experience from my younger years. There's more definitely a bit of a salesperson schtick happening, which is also common in newcomers. At this point in my life, even phrases from my Catholic upbringing such as "begotten not made, one in being with the Father" are like whispered hints toward this understanding.

Thank you for this, Gregg.

Rachel