Hi James,

  I don’t know about “genetically encoded” in a direct sense. However, there certainly will be mental behavioral associations between certain “archetypal perceptual frames” that are a reflection of our primate natures. That is, one of the things I emphasize when thinking about human nature is that we should NOT think about it in terms of nature versus nurture or genetics versus culture. This is a grossly inadequate frame. However, there are living/bio, mental/psych, and cultural/social lines, as I spell out here. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/202201/nature-versus-nurture-life-mind-and-culture

  And it seems clear that colors and shades will demonstrate mental behavioral associations properly situated at the Mind level of complexification. That is, red and black will have different feels than green, yellow, pink and white. The former will be tied at the image/affect/action/association level of Mind (i.e., patterns of animal-behavioral investment) to things like blood, sex, darkness, and the latter day light, spring, calm.

This would stem from the principles of behavioral investment and should be a seen as a general reflection of our primate mental nature (but I would not think of it directly in terms of genetic determinism, as that is the wrong level of complexification to see the association).

From: theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of James Lyons-Weiler
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2022 9:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Universal Color/Emotion Link?

Thank you for that, Gregg -

The analogy is interesting - wondering about thoughts on whether the emotional traits/color link association might be mapped to culture or to genetics - as a worthwhile discussion that

impacts how we see the world.

Your use of colors, it would seem, is based on the expectation that others will tune into your message and comprehend.

No one is amazed that the capacity for the use of SYMBOLS is inherited.

But if specific SYMBOLS are genetically encoded, that would be something!

James