Hi Greg (and all),

I'm lucky to be taking a course with Tom Cheetham right now and our first
week we read and discussed The Jazz of Physics, and Tom used it as giving
scientific legitimacy to the rest of the course, so I thought I'd share
some of the discussion with you folks:

Sounds and the aural landscape - they create/afford knowing the world as
mysterious Other of spontaneous harmony and disharmony, rather than
"Newton's sleep" - sound as technological, capitalist-world as a standing
resource, systematization of the world (William Blake)

Here's the syllabus if anyone wants to dive deeper into the phenomenology
and theory of music in a beautiful way. .

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1eaXvTzIzj6XTMg0Gn7aNamEZMss5te0sqVzbIXdX4zE_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=VsNux4XbAnqobXjuQlS9vS8Bm9u14ON-dJC2SxO3-dY&s=Jw9TxKlZv56dtp2gJ_jRhgNHur2AgtjnN-tITnz_7ac&e=

Some of the many points we've explored that may find resonance with this
group:

   - Spinoza said "we don't even understand the body and know what the
   human body can do", making it much more than a meat machine bent on a
   limited scope of behaviors.

   - Darwin's sexual selection rewards taking risks, novelty, imagination,
   and creativity, not just brute force and the endurance of the powerful.
   Music is a conduit for genetics, not an epiphenomenon.

   - Music can be an n-dimensional space, full of ambiguity, richness, and
   meaning. The world isn't a place, it's a state of immersion.

   - Music requires attention and imagination (i.e. participation), and
   objects don't 'do' this (but we can!), making music "being mode" Fromm's
   vocabulary.

   - And this is my favorite. He said "Each different <artist> can
   re-territorialize us, so it's perspectival, and deterritorialize us, giving
   us access to different modes of sensation and different sensibilities ...

Also, I really like Jacob Collier's talk on harmony explained to people of
all ages and abilities, showing the multi-apt nature of music (and his
genius at talking about music) (Musician Explains One Concept in 5 Levels
of Difficulty ft. Jacob Collier & Herbie Hancock | WIRED)
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_eRkgK4jfi6M&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=VsNux4XbAnqobXjuQlS9vS8Bm9u14ON-dJC2SxO3-dY&s=OcC8yhoK5pEd98ZKQwQ1dPaBYPJcKOxqnWWm_Nzv53Y&e=

If anyone ever wants to go into any of this, feel free to message me any
time. I've been finding the course very rewarding and transformative.

Thanks for the great post, Greg!

*All the best,*

*Robert L. Gray*