Enjoy your adventures, Professor Virginia Jones.  Looking forward to your
return.

Nicholas, one experience I would like to share (related to yours) came
somewhat spontaneously.  I had been living and working at a Krishnamurti
school in India, practicing mostly Krishnamurti-style inquiries as well as
studying Advaita and doing some related Advaita practices (from Ramana
Maharshi and Jean Klein, primarily).  One night, while sleeping in my
cabin, I dreamt a Tibetan lama had entered my room.  He stepped out from a
dark corner of the room and was watching me.  I rose to approach him, and
he suddenly leapt on me and pinned me to the ground, his knees on my arms
and his eyes fixed on my face.  He said, "You've swallowed a blade and you
can't stop it.  Let it do what it has to do."  I could feel a blade moving
through my veins, and I knew when it reached my one of my temples, I would
die.

I relaxed and let it move.  As it reached my temple, everything snuffed
out.  I suddenly felt myself sucked into a void, with a loud, strong
whooshing sound, that resolved into an incredible, brief harmony of
bell-like tones, and then utter silence and nothingness.  I'm not sure how
long I was in that void-like space, because of course it happened during my
sleep.  After an indeterminate time in that thoughtless 'gap,' I felt my
senses and my body slowly come back online, one by one.  From a muffled
distance, slowly my heartbeat became audible. I couldn't hear any outside
sounds yet, but I could feel my own thinking.  Then, as if passing through
honey, sensory data pushed through into presence, and my room, and my
body-in-a-room, eventually coalesced.

It's not that unusual to 'wake up' before your body is awake, and to
experience sounds and other things eventually returning.  But what was
unusual about this for me was the intensity and clarity of it, and the
deliberateness of a death-like 'entry' into what the traditions call the
causal state.  I had been practicing 'awareness of the space between
thoughts,' and this was like a bigger, deeper version of that.

At the time, I didn't have any Tibetan teachers and knew only a little bit
about the tradition.  But after this experience, I went up north to Nepal
and met some teachers, and by a series of interesting synchronicities,
eventually met Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche who taught me both dream and sleep
yogas.  In sleep yoga, there is a process which does the reverse of the
gradual waking-up that I had experienced; it allows you to be present as
the body shuts down, sense-modality by sense-modality, and lucidly
experience the transition to sleep.

Now, in maybe a UTOK context, there's the big question of why any of this
sort of thing might matter.  There are traditional ideas around the
importance of experience and mastery of these states, of course.  And there
maybe some naturalistic and postmetaphysical ones to consider.  But that's
for another conversation....