FEAST

Clearwater Beach, Florida October 6-9, 2022

The Politics of Self-Care

in an Unjust World

-- CALL FOR EXTENDED ABSTRACTS --

Submission deadline:

May 31, 2022

Keynote Speakers TBS

  1. Featured FEAST Session: This year we will celebrate the work of bell hooks.

This Year’s Theme

We offer the following terms as generative areas for reflection for feminist ethics, social theory, and healing practioners:

Self-Care

Self-care is a healthy, restorative, self-respecting, and affirming practice.  It is primarily an intentional act of grounding, establishing safety, and building protective boundaries to grow and live a full human life. As Audre Lorde says, these are acts of political warfare.  Many depictions and hashtags portray self-care as an individualist act, one that often requires the acquisition of material goods and indulgent services.  This requires not only time, but money.  Acts of self-care are prompted as luxuries.  However, due to the inherent political nature of self-care, it is communal.  It is radical.  It is self-love. It is social care.  Given this, what ethical boundaries should be in place when we engage in self-care practices?  How should our cognitive states and epistemic framing towards self-care shift to more fully actualize the political radical nature Lorde has in mind?  What sorts of ethical, political, and epistemic questions arise when we practice self-care as a mode of feminist knowledge production and distribution? How do disciplinary demarcations and boundaries direct epistemic attention to “care” in some ways and not others? What are some examples of productive self-care practices that provide means of disruption, intervention, and resistance?

Transformative Justice

Transformative Justice (TJ) is a political framework and approach for responding to violence, harm and abuse. At its most basic, it seeks to respond to violence without creating more violence and/or engaging in harm reduction to lessen the violence. TJ can be thought of as a way of “making things right,” getting in “right relation,” or creating justice together. Transformative justice responses and interventions 1) do not rely on the state (e.g. police, prisons, the criminal legal system, I.C.E., foster care system (though some TJ responses do rely on or incorporate social services like counseling);  2) do not reinforce or perpetuate violence such as oppressive norms or vigilantism; and most importantly, 3) actively cultivate the things we know prevent violence such as healing, accountability, resilience, and safety for all involved.

Imagine practices of self and community care that prevent violence, hold perpetrators accountable, and enable possibilities for survivors beyond mere survival. Sustainable practices that do not depend on overwork or fetishize exhaustion. This is one element of abolitionist visioning. These practices heal and care for all kinds of selves, not only individual humans but relationships and relational networks as well.

Communal healing

How we navigate and negotiate our relations with others seems to evoke questions about healing in more than one sense of the term. As beings who live interdependently and who err, we are sometimes generous with others despite their failings and at other times we ourselves may be received with a generosity that is not deserved. How ought we to think about this sort of communal healing when relations are already fraught due to axes of dominance and oppression? For example, who is afforded “healing” and who is not? In a different vein, as feminists we are often trying to occupy spaces in which we are not welcome and to create possibilities that current regimes relentlessly work against. How can communal healing be an act of resistance to oppression? What does “communal healing” do? And when ought it to be rejected?

The FEAST program committee seeks papers that engage self-care thinking on these and other issues including:

      Overlaps and interactions between ethics, politics, and epistemology

      The materiality of caring for oneself

      Ongoing disagreements in feminist philosophy concerning “care” and “caring for others” including:

      Trauma Informed Healing

      Calling out “triggers”/ Trigger-culture

      Mainstreamed "Self-Care"

      The invisibility of BIPOC’s pain/fatigue

      The politics of rage, anger, and stress

      Survivor vs Healing discourse

      Where "early" feminist ethics (i.e., care ethics) has led us and where we should go from here

      Relations (ethical/political/epistemic) among differently non-dominantly situated persons

      Epistemic hurdles, but also epistemic gateways, for thinking self-care beyond the academy (as practitioners) and beyond praxis, as on particular problems, for example:

      Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence

      Disability/Disabling Institutions and Practices

      Colonization, Imperialism, and Globalization

      Speaking for, about, and/or with

      Grappling with the ways in which vulnerability and privilege can intertwine

      Dance/Movement

      Platforms collecting racial trauma in academic spaces, i.e., #BlackintheIvory, #indigenousacademia, #whydiasbledpeopledropout

      Work/Life Balance

      Racial Stress and Workplace-related trauma

      The materiality of caring for oneself

      Economic accessibility to self-care

      (Re)conceiving conceptions of self-care

      Public/Private self-care

      Performative self-care

      Caring for oneself while caring for others

      Co-optation of self-care tactics

      Disability justice and accessibility

      Self-care during a pandemic

      Self-Love and boundary setting

      Institutional responsibility and responses to Care

      Loneliness and Social Isolation

     Political activism and social justice work - tuning in and tapping out

      Self-Care in Non-Nuclear Familial Structures

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

Please send your submission, in one document (a Word file, please, so that abstracts can be posted), to [log in to unmask] by May 31, 2022. In the body of the email message, please include:

      1) your full paper, panel or workshop title;

      2) your name;

      3) your institutional affiliation; and

      4) your email address.

All submissions will be anonymously reviewed.

Individual Papers

Please submit an extended abstract (1000-1250 words), along with a preliminary bibliography, for anonymous review. Your document should include: paper title, your extended abstract, and bibliography, with no identifying information. The word count (max. 1250 not including bibliography) should appear on the top of the first page of your submission.

Panels

Please clearly mark your submission as a panel submission both in the body of the e-mail and on the submission itself. Your submission should include the panel title and all three extended abstracts and word counts (no more than 1250 words for each paper) in one document.  Each paper within the panel should also have a preliminary bibliography.

Workshops

Keeping the theme of our conference in mind, we are committed to adapting an Un-conference structure and interspersing a range of interpretive forms of presentations, including but not limited to: yoga sessions, mediation sessions, consciousness raising sessions, release, poetry readings, as well as more traditionally formatted workshops, roundtables, and discussions.

Accessibility Information

Transportation:

Lyft and Uber are both available in this area.

The estimated fare for a one-way trip via taxi from TPA to the conference hotel is approximately $70 (including 15% gratuity). The estimated fare for a one-way trip from PIE to the conference hotel is $35 (not including gratuity). We strongly recommend banding together to ride share, which typically works well.

Sheraton Sand Key Resort:

Hotel rooms: There are accessible rooms with the following features:

     Roll-in shower

     Portable tub seats

     Portable communications kits containing visual alarms & notification devices

     Mobility-accessible doors with at least 32 inches of clear door width

     TTY (Text Telephone Device)

     Televisions with closed captioning

Bathrooms:

Wheelchair-accessible and gender-neutral bathrooms will be available.

Hotel restaurants:

There are three restaurants in the hotel as well as a poolside café and bar. Here is a link to the page that describes these options: https://www.sheratonsandkey.com/dining/

The Island Grille, which offers sandwiches, salads, and soup, is the least expensive of the hotel restaurants.

Conference rooms/presentations:

Lighting: There are LED bulbs in the conference rooms. It is important that the lighting is not altered suddenly (light switches being turned on or off) because this creates an unsafe environment for some conference participants.

PowerPoints: Since projection makes presentations inaccessible for some conference participants, we have decided that we will not use PowerPoint or other means of presentation that require projection. In many cases, printed handouts work just as well to convey main points.

Papers: Please have printed copies of your paper with 12 point and 18 point font available at the beginning of your presentation so audience members can follow along if this is helpful to them. (In the past, it has been possible to print papers at the hotel. I expect this will be the case this year as well.)

Please feel free to contact Shay Welch with any questions

--
All my best,
Shay Welch