HI All:
It seems that part of the question here about the effectiveness of psychotherapy is framed in terms of the question: Is psychotherapy socially constructed or a product of scientific knowing.  I want to suggest that to the extent that this is so, the question is based on a false distinction.

In my view, psychological functioning is not something that can be understood in terms of traditional notions of science.  It is not possible to “objectively observe” a person’s anguish.  We have the concept of anguish (and any other psychological concept) not because we observe it in the world, but instead because humans are capable of establishing intersubjectivity with each other. That is, we are able to use words to create meanings about our experiences that allow us to share those experiences and make them intelligible to both self and other.

Psychological knowledge has fundamentally different origins – intersubjective origins -- than the knowledge gained by traditional science as it relates to the physical and biological world.

The concept of “socially constructed”, I think, is or should be losing its rhetorical force by now.  The concept of “social construction” seems to identify the source of meaning exclusively within language relations.  In so doing, it often pays lip service to the role of the experience world in shaping our “socially constructed” meanings.  We need a theory of psychological science that locates the source of psychological knowledge neither in world-independent realm of social meanings nor in an unmediated “objective” world that can be known independent of human experience.

Thus, to say that psychotherapy is a socially created does not mean that it is not in some way “real”.  Intersubjectively-mediated forms of meaning and action are just as real as anything else.  We need precise ways of studying psychological experience that are not yoked to objectivist methodology.  I believe that so-called “objective” analyses of psychotherapeutic effectiveness are simply not up for the task.

I believe that it is possible to study psychotherapeutic effectiveness if we view it as a developmental process.  It is possible to examine changes in structures of thinking, feeling and acting in the moment-by-moment exchanges that occur over the course of a psychotherapy session, or over the course of psychotherapy sessions.  In so doing, one can actually identify the specific ways in which discursive activity (or what have you) between people lead to novel forms of thinking, feeling and action.  In my view, to do this is to show specifically how what we call psychotherapy works to create novel forms of adaptive action.  We can show how these therapeutic interactions lead to development in this domain, while those over there do not.

I think that the application of traditional “objectivist” methodology is too crude to capture the nuances of the psychotherapeutic process as it occurs over time.  We can and need to do better.

All my very best

Mike

Michael F. Mascolo, Ph.D.
Academic Director, Compass Program
Professor, Department of Psychology
Merrimack College, North Andover, MA 01845
978.837.3503 (office)
978.979.8745 (cell)

Bridging Political Divides Website: Creating Common Ground <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.creatingcommonground.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=CdQ50AmtsrytTLwn5akYSlV32zQBNuwdT0QX_ZZezEI&s=VUwzeBlZacHdW97d22UkOCFEb57fYwbAcVwpDnqJ9oA&e= >
Blog: Values Matter <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_values-2Dmatter&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=CdQ50AmtsrytTLwn5akYSlV32zQBNuwdT0QX_ZZezEI&s=oJgt_KM6yAhUkUphBDChJnKyE5WAcF5HVchseEI9dBY&e= >
Journal: Pedagogy and the Human Sciences <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__scholarworks.merrimack.edu_phs_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=CdQ50AmtsrytTLwn5akYSlV32zQBNuwdT0QX_ZZezEI&s=Mvn7io7L8U-JmIt7JEd81ZWeXTCHiHC8BXIuJ-rtZLM&e= >
Author and Coaching Website: www.michaelmascolo.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.michaelmascolo.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=CdQ50AmtsrytTLwn5akYSlV32zQBNuwdT0QX_ZZezEI&s=0HVYBMR7ObCrpPARLcfpk_wYgUJlhSdHrKau1gslSvc&e= >
Academia Home Page  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__merrimack.academia.edu_MichaelMascolo&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=CdQ50AmtsrytTLwn5akYSlV32zQBNuwdT0QX_ZZezEI&s=6-9IxdEVLNWODwAqjD4YQ2YMD26ccNMLLKCNT-wnVtI&e= >
Constructivist Meetup Series <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.constructivistmeetup.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=CdQ50AmtsrytTLwn5akYSlV32zQBNuwdT0QX_ZZezEI&s=dD0RuxyZK60mla7ryyEf3GkQBi4YMmw5DUzHDXYE200&e= >

Things move, persons act. -- Kenneth Burke
If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well. -- Donald Hebb