Just listened to this conversation, and wow! So rich. Thanks for sharing,
Bruce.

This conversation made me wonder whether large scale restoration
work—projects working on landscapes made barren from industry, and
replanting native plants likely to thrive in that soil/climate/site
conditions/region, with often rapid cascading effects through fauna—and
even home-bound ecological mindfulness—both engendered through learning
about and having native plants in your personal awareness of your
surroundings and embedded in our collective consciousness—might feed into a
new post-metaphysical ecology of practices for a religion that is not a
religion.

I find it a precious experience to transform our modest yard from a lawn
and into a space that supports a plethora of insects, birds, mushrooms, and
animals. I relish in sharing this awareness with my son, who brightens up
as we talk about all the plants and bugs and birds.

Maybe this type of restorative ecological stewardship could serve as a way
for us to be less anthropocentric in our view. “Sorry, we have sort of been
breaking this, I’m gonna try to do what I can to clean it up, fix it up,
and give it back”. We can educate ourselves about our regions various
ecosystems and allow native plants to provide the substrate to allow
balanced micro-ecosystems form around them.

We can in a way attempt to give back land to serve a diversity of life,
instead of merely to a colonial manicured sense of “natural” order, and
practical pleasure.

Cheers,
Aydan