Hello all ~

This is so interesting. I have wondered about this myself, but I have to
admit that I've been one to "not lay a glove" on Race as Classification,
because of the reactivity I've seen from people (mainly white antiracists)
when I've broached related topics. (And I have my gloves full with gender
as it is.) I sense within me some kind of Original Sin of race, linked
physically to a sense of resistance in a space between my heart and solar
plexus, whereby questioning the idea of Race as Classification is some kind
of sacrilege. This emotional phenomenon is linked to the analysis
Handelsman gives, that denying Race as Classification can be framed as an
easy out for the Oppressor, whereas it actually is both true and good to
deny this construct. I love it when there's some kind of ontonormative
argument for topics like this! (If I'm even using that word right.)

So would Race as Classification also be a misuse of our tribal brains,
building Cultural (ToK capitalization) systems of justification based on
our need to devalue the self-justifications of those in the outgroup, which
in turn is based on our needs in the Influence Matrix to be known and
valued by important (ingroup) others? Just musing on that. It seems that an
ingroup bias thus evolved would serve well in some small group societies
with specific survival needs, but would become amazingly toxic in our
modern world.

Thank much,
Rachel