From: theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Aydan Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2022 11:03:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Reverence vs. Devotion?

I was thinking about how reverence could be seen as the proper frame for the religion that is not a religion, as opposed to devotion in traditional style society. It seems intuitive to me that devotion is when we cross a line towards traditional religion as opposed to a meta modern religion that is not a religion. The relationship is different, but the quality remains. I think cults tend to contain devotion without a heart of reverence, and that this points towards some lack of ontological quality there that makes this form inherently dangerous.

Thoughts?