*In the Philosophy Department at the University of Dayton, we are looking
for new faculty whose passion aligns with our mission. If you are
interested in:*
- a role in shaping the new Africana Studies minor,
- a focus on meaningful research that advances the common good,
- exploration and implementation of innovative teaching approaches,
- shaping the next generation of individuals who are interested in Africana
and African American Studies and
engagement in impactful service opportunities,
APPLY TODAY!
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__employment.udayton.edu_cw_en-2Dus_job_500440_assistant-2Dprofessor-2Dspecializing-2Dafricana-2Dandor-2Dafrican-2Damerican-2Dphilosophy&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=bNTD_H07oRrph7oiD-waMiuYbsUQmt9gq0x8fpqrxAXviG9_oSk9gWMAwJ1WMQ3p&s=ClPpWL449NREY-FQsWHxTPcKSI6EXZ0dO-S42qPlQEQ&e=

Area of Specialty: Africana and/or African American Philosophy
Areas of Competence: Open

The Philosophy Department at University of Dayton is seeking a tenure track
assistant professor specializing in Africana and/or African American
philosophy as part of a College of Arts and Sciences’ Africana Studies
cluster. The successful candidate will start August 16, 2023 and join
faculty in the departments of English, History, Global Languages and
Cultures, and Religious Studies whose research and teaching focus on
Africana Studies. In addition to research and teaching, the successful
candidate will develop new courses for the Africana Studies minor, and help
shape the new major in Africana Studies. This person will have an
affiliation with the Race and Ethnic Studies program and may also
contribute to other interdisciplinary programs.

The Philosophy Department at University of Dayton is large, collegial and
collaborative, currently numbering fifteen tenure-line faculty and nine
full-time non-tenure-track faculty, and offering strong major and minor
programs. We are a pluralistic department, with a long history of work in
feminist philosophy, philosophy of race, and decolonial philosophy, as well
as recognizing the value of a variety of philosophical traditions both
western and non-western. We value and recognize community engagement in
teaching and service. For further information about the department consult
our website,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__udayton.edu_artssciences_academics_philosophy_academic_index.php&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=bNTD_H07oRrph7oiD-waMiuYbsUQmt9gq0x8fpqrxAXviG9_oSk9gWMAwJ1WMQ3p&s=O1t0oDQ3P6_tFdr0rOaalD-_Q5iTKtNjM0U0WXCY4xs&e=  .
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__udayton.edu_artssciences_academics_philosophy_academic_index.php&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=bNTD_H07oRrph7oiD-waMiuYbsUQmt9gq0x8fpqrxAXviG9_oSk9gWMAwJ1WMQ3p&s=O1t0oDQ3P6_tFdr0rOaalD-_Q5iTKtNjM0U0WXCY4xs&e=  >

The University of Dayton, with a College of Arts and Sciences and
professional schools of Business Administration, Education and Health
Sciences, Engineering, and Law, has a full-time undergraduate enrollment of
approximately 8,000 students. All undergraduate students take twelve hours
of Philosophy and Religious Studies. At the University of Dayton, we value
our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and
perspectives is vital to advancing innovation and critical thinking,
solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community.
Because we seek a community with a wide range of perspectives and
experiences, we encourage all interested candidates to apply.

The successful candidate will teach courses in Africana Philosophy and/or
African American Philosophy, other courses according to their interests and
expertise, as well as departmental needs, including Introduction to
Philosophy. The typical teaching load is six undergraduate courses per
academic year (three per semester). Summer teaching may be available. We
also expect ongoing publication, and faculty research is encouraged and
supported (e.g. summer research grants, travel support). Further
responsibilities include service to the department, University, and
academic community as well as collaborative engagement with colleagues.
Faculty also will have the opportunity to work with the College's
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__udayton.edu_artssciences_index.php&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=bNTD_H07oRrph7oiD-waMiuYbsUQmt9gq0x8fpqrxAXviG9_oSk9gWMAwJ1WMQ3p&s=0HdvLHOKCYm19BEUsD2d55ZE-67lghPJI22Se5ljorM&e=  > diverse range of public-facing
centers to help further the University mission of engaging local, national,
and global communities in culturally responsive and responsible ways.

Follow the below link for more information, including qualifications, and
to apply.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__employment.udayton.edu_cw_en-2Dus_job_500440_assistant-2Dprofessor-2Dspecializing-2Dafricana-2Dandor-2Dafrican-2Damerican-2Dphilosophy&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=bNTD_H07oRrph7oiD-waMiuYbsUQmt9gq0x8fpqrxAXviG9_oSk9gWMAwJ1WMQ3p&s=ClPpWL449NREY-FQsWHxTPcKSI6EXZ0dO-S42qPlQEQ&e=

Feel free to email me if you have questions about the position or about
University of Dayton.

All the best,

Nancy

Nancy Arden McHugh, PhD
Executive Director of the Fitz Center for Leadership in Community
Professor of Philosophy
University of Dayton
1401 S. Main St.
Dayton, OH 45469

she.her.hers

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__udayton.edu_artssciences_ctr_fitz_index.php&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=bNTD_H07oRrph7oiD-waMiuYbsUQmt9gq0x8fpqrxAXviG9_oSk9gWMAwJ1WMQ3p&s=434eRQXld2ZiO-INnyBy07h2XuO9rAqnJohaaZrgP7o&e=

*"Unless one lives and loves in the trenches it is difficult to remember
that the war against dehumanization is ceaseless." Audre Lorde, "Age, Race,
Class, and Sex," Sister Outsider.*