Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some exciting new research my team has just released! Our new report, When Other Doors Were Closed, Ours Were Open, is one of the most comprehensive accounts to date of how the unique conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic impacted domestic violence shelters and survivors.

When so many services shuttered, our member domestic violence shelters remained open. They were often the only place individuals in need had to go for support, and in embarking on this research, we wanted to better understand how that impacted their staff and clients. We also wanted to better understand how the acceleration of domestic violence and the barriers to resources and services many survivors experienced during the pandemic would impact the future. The report was compiled from qualitative data gathered over seven weeks across nine communities in Alberta, combined with quantitative data gathered by ACWS and our members since the pandemic began. We hope its data and conclusions may be used by researchers a to build upon and further evolve our understanding of the source and impact of domestic violence in society, and the experiences of both survivors and service providers. Some of the learnings include:

Further, it reinforced findings from our 2023 compilations of member data and experiences, On the Front Lines and Survivors Deserve Better. Shelters Deserve Better. Alberta Deserves Better. Of particular concern is:

As a member-based association, for thirty years ACWS has boasted a robust research team to gather and collate data from our members on domestic violence and abuse in Alberta (find our extensive archive here). We hope more researchers like you all can take advantage of the large volume of material research. Please use it and cite it in your own work. Further, we are always open to expanding our research partnerships.

We hope you enjoy the report and that you will reach out to explore further opportunities to understand domestic violence and abuse.

Miranda Pilipchuk, Ph.D. (she/her/elle)

Research and Evaluation Coordinator

Alberta Council of Women's Shelters

[log in to unmask] (587) 689-5710

400 – 9804 Jasper Ave
Edmonton, AB T5J 0C5

ᐊᒥᐢᑿᒌᐚᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ (Amiskwacîwâskahikan)

Treaty 6 Territory

To help, donate. Charitable Registration: #118780634RR0001