FEAST-L Archives

November 2010

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Serene Khader <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Serene Khader <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:58:38 -0400
Hi FEAST-ers,

We at Wheaton are recruiting Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Women's
Studies and Islamic Studies. I would love it if you would circulate
this ad to colleagues/students who might be interested.

Please note that we are hoping to interview for this position at NWSA
next weekend, so it is best for candidates to send their dossiers as
soon as possible.

The ad is below.

Warmly,
Serene
Serene J. Khader, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Women's Studies
Coordinator, Women's Studies Program
Wheaton College, Massachusetts

MELLON POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS IN ISLAMIC STUDIES
WHEATON COLLEGE
NORTON, MA

Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts, will offer two postdoctoral
fellowships in Islamic Studies, each for two-year appointments
beginning in 2011-12.  Fellowships will reside in any of the following
three areas/departments: Anthropology, Religion or Women’s Studies.
Thus, we invite applications from recent PhDs who can teach Islamic
Studies courses in Cultural Anthropology or in Religion, and/or within
our Women’s Studies program.

The two-year non-renewable postdoctoral fellowships are funded by the
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and provide the opportunity to teach in a
liberal arts college setting.  Fellows will have the opportunity to
craft and teach courses in their areas of specialty.  The teaching
load is 2 courses in the first year and 3 courses in the second.  Each
fellow will be mentored by a scholar within their field (i.e.
Anthropology, Religion or Women’s Studies) and also will be provided
with a mentor outside of their field.

Wheaton College is a selective liberal arts institution known for
creativity in its curriculum.  Our faculty have significant mentoring
experience with new teachers in postdoctoral and junior faculty
appointments.  We seek candidates who are committed to strengthening
their teaching in a liberal arts setting.

To apply, please send a c.v. and a cover letter which describes your
areas of specialty and a statement about your interest in teaching in
a liberal arts environment.  Please also send material on your
teaching history, which includes sample syllabi and course
evaluations.  Applications will be accepted until both positions are
filled, but preliminary interviews will be conducted at the National
Women's Studies Association (NWSA).  Thus, review of applications will
begin in November 2010.  Inquiries may be directed to Prof. Evelyn
Staudinger, Provost’s Office, 508-286-3580 or 508-286-8212.  Please
send applications to: Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship, Provost’s
Office, Wheaton College, 26 East Main Street, Norton, MA 02766.

To apply, please send a c.v. and a cover letter which describes your
areas of specialty and a statement about your interest in teaching in
a liberal arts environment.  Please also send material on your
teaching history, which includes sample syllabi and course
evaluations.  Applications will be accepted until both positions are
filled, but preliminary interviews will be conducted at the National
Women's Studies Association (NWSA).  Thus, review of applications will
begin in November 2010.  Inquiries may be directed to Prof. Evelyn
Staudinger, Provost’s Office, 508-286-3580 or 508-286-8212.  Please
send TWO copies of application materials. The first should be sent
ELECTRONICALLY to Serene Khader at [log in to unmask]
The second copy should be sent in HARD COPY to: Evelyn Staudinger,
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship, Provost’s Office, Wheaton College, 26
East Main Street, Norton, MA 02766.

Though we will be considering applications until December, we hope to
interview as many candidates as possible at NWSA, so please submit
materials as soon as possible for fullest consideration.

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:18:10 -0400
  Anna Stubblefield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have a student who is looking for both philosophical and empirical
>discussions about what to do with existing domesticated animals if we
>were to stop eating them. So what to do with the ones who are already
>alive, do we bring about the end of certain species because they
>cannot be integrated into the ecosystem and we would no longer "need"
>them, etc.
>
> Please reply off-list to:

> Thanks!
> Anna
>
> ***********************************
> Dr. Anna Stubblefield
> Chair, Department of Philosophy
> Rutgers University-Newark

Serene J. Khader, PhD
Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Women’s Studies
Wheaton College

Mailing Address:
Department of Philosophy
Wheaton College