FEAST-L Archives

December 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Jen McWeeny <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jen McWeeny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:35:16 -0500
Hi All,
Thanks so much for your interest in the Distinguished Woman Philosopher
nomination process.
I wanted to answer Judi's questions to the whole listserv, since they are
relevant to many.

First, DWP nominations do not carry over from year to year.  They must be
re-submitted anew each year.  This is not to say that you cannot use the
exact same letter that you have used in previous years and simply update the
date.
There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is that it
ensures that the selection committee receives up-to-date letters.  It also
puts the responsibility for book-keeping in the hands of the individual
nominators, rather than the ESWIP officers, who have many other duties.

Second, formal nominations must include, at minimum, the nominee's CV and
TWO supporting letters to be considered complete.  Only complete nominations
will be passed on to the selection committee.  They must be received by
March 2, 2009.

Finally, since many of you have asked, I can tell you that, in general,
those nominees who receive the award usually have more than two thoughtful,
detailed supporting letters (often they have 5-8).  From the perspective of
someone who is NOT a member of the DWP selection committee for obvious
reasons, it makes sense to me that in general the more information the
committee has about a particular nominee, the fuller a picture the committee
can gain of that nominee.  The criteria for the award are BOTH that the
nominee has made significant contributions to philosophy as a discipline AND
that she has devoted considerable time, energy, and passion to supporting
women in philosophy.  The letters are particularly useful at arguing the
latter point, since this contribution is often less publically visible than
the former.

Please let me know if I can anwer any other questions as you prepare the DWP
nominations for 2009 and thank you for working to give women philosophers
the important recognition that they deserve.
All the best,
Jen

Jen McWeeny, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Philosophy