FEAST-L Archives

December 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Chris Cuomo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Cuomo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:55:20 -0500
Personally, I get a thrill seeing Alison Bechdel's work lauded in the
mainstream press. Despite the reviewer's naivete about our realities,
this review has a rather interesting (dare I say empowering?) take on
Bechdel's representations of lesbian culture and politics...

December 3, 2008
Books of The Times

The Days of Their Lives: Lesbians Star in Funny Pages
By DWIGHT GARNER

THE ESSENTIAL DYKES TO WATCH OUT FOR
By Alison Bechdel
392 pages. Illustrated. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. $25.

Two years ago Alison Bechdel seemed to come out of nowhere with a
graphic memoir, “Fun Home,” that knocked a lot of people, myself
included, right over. You didn’t have to go quite as far as Time
magazine, which called “Fun Home” the single best book of 2006, to
recognize Ms. Bechdel’s achievement. Her memoir, about coming of age
as a lesbian in her secret-filled family’s rural Pennsylvania funeral
home, was moody, astringent, microscopically observed. “Fun Home”
belongs on that same small, high shelf of comic books where “Maus”
dwells.

Plenty of readers, however, needed no introduction to Ms. Bechdel. For
more than 20 years she has been the creator of “Dykes to Watch Out
For,” a weekly comic strip, printed mostly in college-town alternative
newspapers, about the fractious lives and loves of an articulate group
of lesbians in a city that resembles Minneapolis. The strip is sexy,
sometimes in an R-rated way — imagine “Doonesbury” with regular
references to sex toys — and it’s political, in a feisty, lefty,
Greenpeace meets PETA meets MoveOn.org kind of way. Ms. Bechdel’s
lesbians wanted to impeach the first George Bush.

Taken together, these comic strips don’t have the tightly coiled
impact of “Fun Home,” but in some ways they offer greater consolations
— they’re looser, more funny, and they offer the chance to watch a
group of very appealing women grow and change (and struggle to have
better sex) over the course of more than two decades. Ms. Bechdel
calls her strips “half op-ed column and half endlessly serialized
Victorian novel,” and that’s not far off. I suspect that, over the
years, “Dykes to Watch Out For” has been as important to new
generations of lesbians as landmark novels like Rita Mae Brown’s
“Rubyfruit Jungle” (1973) and Lisa Alther’s “Kinflicks” (1976) were to
an earlier one.

As Ms. Bechdel observes in her introduction to this new anthology,
“The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For,” it was not especially easy to
be openly lesbian back in 1983, when she published her first cartoon.
“We had no ‘L Word,’ ” she writes. “We had no lesbian daytime TV
hosts. We had no openly lesbian daughters of the creepy vice
president. We had ‘Personal Best,’ and we liked it.”

If you are, with this volume, coming to Ms. Bechdel’s comic strips for
the first time, you’ll notice a few things pretty quickly. For one,
sex happens. There are a lot of naked cartoon women here — gloriously
naked cartoon women: fat, thin, young, old, black, white. They are
real women, many with ample armpit hair and zits on their shoulders.
These lesbians aren’t Bambi, Betty or Veronica.

For another, you’ll pick up on how literate this strip is. It’s not
just the dropped-in references to writers like Camille Paglia, Andrew
Sullivan, Katha Pollitt, Judith Butler and Michel Foucault. In the
stacks of a library, one character confesses: “I’ve always fantasized
about library congress. Let’s do it in the HQ 70s.” What’s more, many
of the characters work in a feminist bookstore called Madwimmin Books,
always under threat from two chain stores Ms. Bechdel refers to as
“Bounders Books and Muzak” and “Bunns and Noodle.” You’ll also come to
realize that lesbians have been, over the last 25 years, on the
cutting edge of just about every cultural trend in this country. They
were among the first foodies, even if most went the vegetarian route.
(Ms. Bechdel’s very first strip mentions a “seaweed-avocado pâté.”)
And on the environment? Eighteen years ago Ms. Bechdel was writing
about compost heaps and the threat posed by nonbiodegradable plastic
trash bags. Ms. Bechdel adores her characters and gently satirizes
them at the same time. They sometimes read books with absurd titles
like “The Wheat-Free Guide to Creative Visualization in Co-Dependent
Past-Life Relationships.” They go to workshops called “Parthenogenesis
With Gemstones.” They develop crushes on women with names like
Amethyst. Criticism, Ms. Bechdel understands, is a form of love.

The most important thing to know about “The Essential Dykes to Watch
Out For,” however, is how deeply amusing it is. It crackles with one-
liners. Log Cabin Republicans, one character intones, dream about
“skinny-dipping at the Bohemian Grove with George Will.” During sex
play, one woman says: “I’ll be the Lexus lesbian with a flat tire, and
you be the surly biker who stops to help.” When a boy with two mommies
leaves the house for a soccer game, one says to him, “No kicking.” His
reply: “Not even the ball?”

After seeing “Brokeback Mountain,” one character delivers this
sardonic monologue: “Who wouldn’t prefer a ruined life with a few
pristine moments to a regular, banal, disappointing life? Imagine the
cinematography if Ennis and Jack had been able to live together.
Sweeping vistas of their couples therapist’s office.”

And here’s Ms. Bechdel’s characters’ running patter after seeing
“Thelma and Louise”:

“What was the real message? The only way for women to be free in this
culture is to be dead?”

“Yeah. Why couldn’t they have escaped into Mexico?”

“Where they would consummate their love for one another, open a
guerrilla training camp for women and start fomenting armed resistance
against rapists.” These characters fret about the insignificance of
their “little counterculture lives,” especially when terrible things
are happening in the world, and Republicans are in the White House.
But Ms. Bechdel makes their lives resonate in ways that do not seem
insignificant at all. Real things happen here: births, deaths,
adoptions, affairs, breakups, commitment ceremonies, civil unions.

Ms. Bechdel began her strips all those years ago, she writes here,
partly to provide “an antidote” to the culture’s image of gay women as
“warped, sick, humorless and undesirable.” Boy, has she succeeded. Her
crazy lesbians seem saner than the rest of us, and beyond beautiful.