FEAST-L Archives

October 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Friedman, Marilyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Friedman, Marilyn
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:23:02 -0500
We should keep in mind that there is no proven relationship between the Sheraton Sand Key Resort and this awful story about the lesbian couple.  The political reason for boycotting all Florida hotels is to avoid spending our travel dollars in states that have atrocious social and political laws and policies.  This is an act of conscience.  But as such, it's political impact is slight.  It won't change state policy.  And it might burden the wrong individuals in Florida.

I'm sure there are many Floridians who are just as appalled as we are by this story and who vote for candidates who would change the law.  Maybe some of those voters work at the Sheraton Sand Key.  So boycotting could hurt the wrong individuals, and have no political impact.

If we want our boycott to have some political impact, and not just be an act of conscience (there's nothing wrong with that in itself but it's limited in impact), we should write to Florida legislators or other officials and tell them what we are doing and why.  Otherwise there may be no change at all.

Marilyn Friedman