FEAST-L Archives

April 2011

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Sophia Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sophia Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:44:35 -0400
Dear FEASTers,

This coming Sunday, April 10 will be the first anniversary of Sue
Weinberg's death.  She was Adjunct Professor Emerita of Philosophy at
Hunter College.  Sue was an early member who helped found the New York
Society for Women in Philosophy (NYSWIP).  For fifteen years she was
the chairperson, backbone, and heart of NYSWIP.

I spoke about Sue last October 29th at the conference held in her
memory, which was superbly organized with love by her friend Nanette
Funk.  I would like to share with you an excerpt from what I said that
day.  I was speaking as one of ten women mentored by Sue.

****
"Sue as Mentor"

Fifteen years ago, when I was a shy second-year PhD student, I
attended a talk organized by NYSWIP. Sue came up, introduced herself
to me, and insisted that I come to dinner with the speaker that
evening.  She wouldn’t take no for an answer.

It was Sue who asked me to help the Treasurer collect dues, and later
to update and print out the address labels for the mailing list, each
time pairing me with a senior colleague to show me the way. I didn't
realize it at the time, but by insisting that I participate in the
group and help with the organizing work, Sue was carefully,
systematically weaving me into the fabric of this group, so that I
would be connected by many threads to many women successfully pursuing
philosophical research, each in her own way.

Five years ago, Sue invited me to give a response to Sandra Bartky’s
work at a NYSWIP talk.  I was certain that I was under-qualified and
ill prepared to give this response, and tried desperately to convince
her to ask someone else.  As usual, she wouldn’t take no for an
answer.  She lent me two of Bartky's books and also asked Bartky to
meet with me beforehand for an informal chat to help me prepare my
response.  With her gentle persistence and invariable kindness, Sue
asked me to do many things I didn’t think I could do.  Leading by
example, she exerted her irresistible influence on me, sometimes even
without saying a word.

Let me end by sharing one example with you.  One winter, our business
meeting was almost wiped out by a snowstorm. On a Friday afternoon
after teaching, I didn't want to venture into the snowy streets for a
meeting that might be cancelled due to lack of attendance. But then I
pictured Sue fighting her way through snow drifts, patiently taking
the bus all the way, and marching the last few blocks to the business
meeting in her boots, determined to make it.

I said to myself, "Sue will be so disappointed in me if I don't make
the effort, especially since she knows I’m Canadian." Sure enough, I
made it through the snow and Sue was there, delighted to see me, and
ready to have the meeting.

These days, when I am in doubt about how to help support a colleague,
I have a simple test.  I ask myself WWSD: "What Would Sue Do?"

Thank you, Sue.
***

This Sunday, April 10, please join me in raising a glass to our
beloved Sue Weinberg!

Sophia Isako Wong
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus