FEAST-L Archives

December 2011

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:36:15 -0500
This message was rejected by the FEAST server at JMU.edu twice, so I am
following the instructions of the automated email: "you should add
a sentence or two at the top explaining why you are resending the message."
Women Philosophers is on a theme related to the SWIP "Motherhood &
Philosophy" panel. As the APA program presently on the APA website lacks
the information about the SSWP panel, I'll provide it here:

Society for the Study of Women Philosophers, Thursday, December 29, 2011;
11:15am-1:15pm.

Mary Ellen Waithe, Cleveland State University:  "Early Women Philosophers
on Mothering"

Dorothy Rogers, Montclair State University:  "Maternal Feminism as a
Predecessor of Care"

And many FEAST members may also be interested in the Wednesday morning
session on "Sex, Love, and War," sponsored by the Society for the
Philosophy of Sex and Love, on which former SWIP Executive Secretary Jen
McWeeny and myself are speaking, along with Canadian feminist philosopher,
Ami Harbin. Here is the information about that program:

GII-9. Society for the Philosophy of Sex and Love
9:00 a.m.–Noon, Wednesday, December 28
Topic: Sex, Love, and War
 Chair:
Helga Varden (University of Illinois–Urbana-
Champaign)

Tom Digby (Springfield College)
“Battle of the Sexes: How Cultural Militarism
Shapes Heterosexual Eroticism”

Ami Harbin (Dalhousie University-Nova Scotia)
“Sexual Minorities in Contexts of War: New Norms
and Collective Crises”

Jen McWeeny (John Carroll University)
“Intimate Violence: Hetero-Asymmetry,
Intersectionality, and Performativity”
(This session will continue past 11:00 a.m.)

I hope this information in useful, and look forward to seeing folks at the
APA.

Tom

Tom Digby
Professor of Philosophy
Springfield College
263 Alden Street
Springfield, MA 01109
Email: [log in to unmask]

"Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire."
--William Butler Yeats