FEAST-L Archives

January 2015

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Purvis, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Purvis, Jennifer
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:22:18 +0000
Hello there,

I first posted the job ad below to the FEAST list back in November.  We are currently reviewing applications and will soon begin the interview process.  I just wanted to send this position announcement out one more time with a reminder that there is no strict deadline (see ad below). However, it would be best to submit an application before we begin interviews and campus visits.

Please spread the word to any qualified individual in the area of gender and technology in any field.  The teaching load is 2/2.

Thank you,

JP

Dr. Jennifer Purvis
Associate Professor and Director of Women's Studies
Feminist Theory and Philosophy
Department of Gender and Race Studies
The University of Alabama
Box 870272
Tuscaloosa, AL  35487-0272
(205) 348-3315
fax: (205) 348-3584

Please distribute this ad among Philosophy and other colleagues (across disciplines):

Job Posting:

Assistant Professor in Women and Technology

The Department of Gender and Race Studies at the University of Alabama invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor appointment specializing in Women and Technology. We seek candidates whose political, theoretical, and cultural approaches to the study of women address issues of science and technology. We are particularly interested in candidates whose work may include feminist critiques of science studies; critical approaches to medical history; biological and/or medical anthropology; reproductive technologies/reproductive justice; sociology of science and technology; digital technologies, including the impact of new technologies on marginalized populations or the challenges or opportunities for social justice offered by digital environments; and other research that examines the confluence of race, gender, and sexuality in the creation of technologies and related industries. Candidates from a variety of relevant Ph.D. specializations are welcome to apply, including but not limited to Women’s and Gender Studies, Feminist Studies, African American Studies, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, Philosophy, English, Biology, and Media and Cultural Studies.

Women’s Studies at the University of Alabama is one of the oldest WGS programs in the southeastern United States, founded in the mid-1970s. Coursework in African American Studies has been a part of the University of Alabama since 1970. The Gender and Race Studies Department at the University of Alabama was formed in 2009 when the programs in Women’s Studies and African American Studies were brought together in one academic department. The Department of Gender and Race Studies currently offers an undergraduate minor and a M.A. in Women’s Studies and an undergraduate minor and a major in African American Studies. Applicants will be expected to contribute to a rich and rewarding intellectual environment and offer courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Pursuit of an active research agenda leading to the publication of a number of articles or a book is required as well as service to the University community and professional organizations. The successful candidate will present a record of scholarship and teaching that is consistent with tenure-track work at a research university. PhD in hand preferred, ABD considered.

The appointment will begin August 16, 2015.

To apply, go to https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/postings/36162 and complete the online application. Attach a letter of application and curriculum vitae. Send three letters of recommendation, a transcript of graduate work, and an article-length writing sample directly to Search Committee, Gender and Race Studies, University of Alabama, Manly Hall 104, Box 870272, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35487-0272.

For more information, contact the search committee chair Dr. Utz McKnight, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Review of applications will begin November 15, 2014, and will continue until the position is filled. The University of Alabama is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We welcome applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

Thank you,
Jennifer Purvis

Dr. Jennifer Purvis
Associate Professor and Director of Women's Studies
Feminist Theory and Philosophy
Department of Gender and Race Studies
The University of Alabama
Box 870272
Tuscaloosa, AL  35487-0272
(205) 348-3315<tel:%28205%29%20348-3315>
fax: (205) 348-3584<tel:%28205%29%20348-3584>