FEAST-L Archives

April 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Laurie Shrage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Shrage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:13:13 -0700
The Claremont Colleges Women and Criminal Justice CIW Prison Garden Project is asking for your vote (disclosure: Hannah Segal is my amazing daughter, and the video was made by my incredible son Nathan...)

Their project is a finalist for the "Energize Your Community" contest, sponsored by Mountain Dew.  If they win, they will receive 10,000 to help cover the costs of the plants, trees, soil, worm bins, gardening gloves, an irrigation system, a storage shed, and other equipment.

The project brings college students and women inmates together to learn about each others' lives.

To vote, go to http://www.energizeyourcommunity.com/ <http://www.energizeyourcommunity.com/>   and click on "project gallery."

Then click on "phase 2" finalists, and then on "CIW Garden project." When you click on "vote for this project," you will be asked to register before you vote.  There are no eligibility requirements for voting, but to enter the contest you have to be between 13 and 25 years old.

If you're looking for a project to do with your students that raises awareness about prison issues, the environment, and class and race issues, this is a great project for a student group together with a prison or shelter in your community.

Laurie Shrage, Ph.D

Director, Women's Studies Center

Professor, Philosophy

Florida International University, DM 214

Miami, FL 33199

http://wstudies.fiu.edu/Shrage.html <http://wstudies.fiu.edu/Shrage.html>

305-348-1295