FEAST-L Archives

April 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Chaone Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chaone Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:38:11 -0400
The most recent issue of the journal Environmmental Philosophy is a special issue called "species of thought" and in addition to pertinent main articles on a range of human/animal relations (including those with yellowjackets, wolves, and bears--I highly recommend Jacob Metcalf's "Intimacy without Proximity: Encountering Grizzlies as a Companion Species"), there is a review of Haraway's When Species Meet and a review of an anthology that surveys animal ethics from a continental perspecitve by Matthew Calarco:  Zoographies: The Question of the Animal from Heidegger to Derrida. You can find the table of contents here:
http://ephilosophy.uoregon.edu/current.html

I also suggest Val Plumwood's classic "Being Prey" (easily googlable); and her recent (I believe post-humously published), "Animals and Ecology: Toward a Better Integration" (also available on line). The latter is a very good supplement to the more "classic" feminist and ecofeminist theorizing on animals by Adams, Gruen, Cuomo, Kheel, et. al., because Plumwood is very much inside these decades-long debates, in that she agrees that dominant practices of eating and using animals represent acts of mastery that are tied to gender domination/subordination, but argues interestingly for a third position not represented by what she calls "ontological veganism"--the idea that we must always abstain from using animals lest we unjustifyably instrumentalize them-- articulating instead a position she calls "ecological animalism" in which we can at least conceive of animals (including the human animal!) as food sometimes, but never as "just" food.

Hope this helps.

Chaone
Chaone Mallory, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Philosophy
Villanova University
Villanova, PA 19085
610-519-3274
Faculty Page
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]
Webpage
http://www.homepage.villanova.edu/chaone.mallory

Chair, Diversity Committee, Association for Feminist Ethics and Social Theory
www.afeast.org

Chair, Speakers Committee
Villanova Sustainability Conference:
http://www.villanova.edu/sustainability/yearofsustainabilty/conference/