TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2022

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Victor MacGill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2022 21:45:47 +1300
HI Everyone,

I am just finishing reading Bobby Azarian's Romance of Reality. I
thought I'd add these comments as I might not be able to link into to
the book discussion that may follow. The book is amazing and I got so
much out of the comprehensiveness of it. The big question not answered
in the book for me is where does the human capacity for evil come from
and I would be interested to get UTOK answers.

 From a thermodynamic / systems angle I note things like:

The environment is always bigger than the system, so it can never fully
know itself and its environment, so error is inherent in all living
creatures. If we can make errors we can cause harm. THat is exacerbated
by the limitations of perception, the constraints of speed, accuracy,
and energy, etc.

What is good at one level of hierarchy, might not be at another. I like
to drink alcohol, but my liver doesn't like me drinking alcohol. I like
driving fast, but he Police Officer will pull me over. The 1% do things
that are in their interests at the expense of the 99% etc.

Matter, energy and information degrade over time introducing error.

Error and evil is not something that i after a invaded ending a golden
age, it was baked in the thermodynamic principles from the get go. It is
a matter of earning to live with it rather than banishing or
annihilating it.

Regards

Victor

--
Victor MacGill PhD
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.victormacgill.com&d=DwICaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=aNJaOmZ_34Qv0uLsJzEzWT_4dyRffY8jb4DJa0DK9vRdLF0iSD7qKe7iL67I2bVj&s=pcUEc_u74yK9sM504IAkDrPVT33InTuejUxTgRSTmNE&e=