TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2022

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2022 14:05:36 +0000
Hi Tjarlz,

  You asked why the blog on Neutrinos matters or "helps us."  To borrow from John V, what is helpful pertains to what is relevant.  The validity of the Big Bang is not terribly relevant for everyday life and for many, many people it does not matter.

  However, it does matter to me for several different reasons. First, UTOK's descriptive metaphysics frames the universe in terms of the Energy Information Implicate order, followed by the emergence of four planes of existence. This basic outline affords us a new grip on our self-world relations. I think UTOK gives something of an "optimal grip" in that it is BOTH consistent with a conservative analysis of what we know AND it affords clarity about how we might shift our current/old worldview into a new one (this is the point of this recent blog on Finding Romance in Reality https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/202210/finding-romance-in-reality).

  For me, the structure of the coherence is somewhat dependent on the Big Bang in its broad outline. It grounds the origin story. It is so distant and removed that it is not central and the details are not terribly relevant, at least for me. But it is important regarding the overarching narrative and logic.

  In addition, it relates to my confidence in scientific epistemology and my ability to discern reality through science. As I pointed out to Tim in a different email, if his version of reality is accurate regarding science, then I would probably loose all confidence in science to generate anything like UTOK. If physics is so broken that there really are not black holes, that the Standard Model is wrong, that the Higgs Boson was a fraud, then all my "priests" are basically liars, and I am surrounded by BS at the deepest levels of my onto-epistemology. In this regard, coherent epistemology connects to foundationalism. That is, there is a network of interconnected justification systems that come together to make the whole. The grounds of the network do play an important role.