Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:35:19 -0400
8bit
From:
VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
Rich and all,
  Thanks for your questions.

  My original inclination was to say, "no, a net cannot be cut
arbitrarily".  However, in the process of composing a clarification
request to Scott Evans, I changed my opinion, but only for nets made
of string, not plastic nets, of course.

  The second exception in Rule 6 states that LEGO string may be cut to
length.  A net is basically a two-dimensional object, made of strings
running in a couple of directions.  You could say that the length is
being measured in multiple directions, or that the individual strands
are being cut along their length.  Applying Benefit of the Doubt, we
have a question where the current rules could reasonably be considered
to be "confusing, conflicting, or missing information".

  Please note that I have only stated my opinion as an experienced
referee, and I haven't stated an official policy.  I'll let you know
if I see opposing guidance.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC Referee Advisor