COE-TEACHER-EDUCATION-UNIT-L Archives

January 2019

COE-TEACHER-EDUCATION-UNIT-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Teacher-Ed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teacher-Ed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2019 20:41:59 +0000
Good afternoon,

I want to make sure everyone is aware of some important advising information for teacher education admissions:

1.       Entry Assessment requirements - see step 2 http://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Application_Requirements.pdf:

As you are probably aware, all students are required to successfully meet Virginia Department of Education entry assessment requirements for reading, writing and math.  We require VCLA as the reading and writing assessment because it will be needed for licensure.

Math can be met in three ways: a) Pass Praxis Core Math; b) waive Praxis Core Math with an ACT math score of 22 + ACT composite score of 24; or c) waive Praxis Core Math with an SAT math score of 560 + SAT Total score of 1170 (taken on or after 3/1/16) - see above link if earlier version of SAT.  Please note:  The total score for SAT is required for all students as of the October 2018 admission cohort.

2.       Entry Assessment tutoring - http://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/Tutoring_Flyer.pdf

We do provide FREE tutoring for entry assessments in the ESC conference room 7230/40 each semester.  Students receive an email with the times.  Spring 2019 semester hours are: Monday 3-6pm, Wednesday 11am-1pm & 3-5pm, Thursday 2:45-5:45pm.

3.       Peer Advising for Admission - http://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/_files/New%20Advising%20Flyer.pdf

Our TEACH Ambassadors hold peer advising hours in the ESC TAAC room 7230 each semester.  They are happy to review admission requirements and help students with admission related advising questions.  Spring 2019 semester hours are: Monday 12-2pm, Tuesday 11-1:30pm, Wednesday 11-3pm, Thursday 12:45-1:45, 2:30-3:30, and Friday 11:30-12:30.

Dara

Dara Hall, Ph.D.
Interim Director
JMU Education Support Center