COE-TEACHER-EDUCATION-UNIT-L Archives

July 2020

COE-TEACHER-EDUCATION-UNIT-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Teacher-Ed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teacher-Ed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2020 13:00:08 +0000
Good morning, this does not look like it delivered properly on Friday.  My apologies for the delay!

FYI - I wanted to share the following information that was just shared with teacher education students.  Have a great weekend!

Best,
Dara

Dear Education Students,

This message is being sent to all active education students (students who have applied to teacher education); however, if you are not in any field experience in fall 2020, you can disregard this message.  If you are anticipating attending a field experience, please read this carefully:

I hope this email finds you in good health!  As we plan for the fall semester, with all of its unknowns, I want to share the most up to date information I have related to field experience (practicum and student teaching) for fall 2020.  At this time we are planning for practicum students and student teachers to attend face-to-face field experiences in the fall. Of course, this is all subject to change and dependent on school opening decisions.

If you have any questions or concerns after reviewing this, please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Practicum:
Most of our practicum experiences take place in our seven local school divisions (Augusta, Harrisonburg, Page, Rockingham, Shenandoah, Staunton, Waynesboro).  I have met with all seven local school divisions and they recognize that there is great value in placements, they are open and welcome to receiving practicum students, and with so many unknowns in instruction they see this as an opportunity for practicum students and their mentor teachers to learn together!
As we navigate these unprecedented times, please be patient and flexible  -

  *   Experiences may start later than usual. Some schools are opening later than normal.
  *   We are working hard to get everyone placed!  It is a giant puzzle placing students right now.  Schools are only having students present face-to-face for 4 days/week (different divisions won't have students on certain days - either Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays).  We cannot place you on days when there are no students present.
  *   We are being asked to spread out even more than usual into all schools in our local divisions to limit the number of bodies in a building.  Therefore, you may need to be placed at a further distance and/or on days with fewer field experience students.
For practicum, please be aware -
1. In addition to the practicum information form (see practicum information at https://www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/fieldexperience.shtml), the state is requiring anyone attending a school-based placement to fill out a COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk Form.  You will not be able to attend a field placement without it.  It will be sent out at the beginning of the semester.
2. For licensure regulations - The expectation to meet the requirements of your program are to complete practicum in a school in a face-to-face environment.  However, if there is a health consideration or other situation where you are concerned about being physically present in a school this fall, please reach out to your education advisor.  They will share your concern with the program coordinator and Academic Unit Head to help you navigate your concern.
3. Practicum students MUST follow any school protocols in the division they are being placed.  These will minimally include self-screening, good hygiene, mask wearing and physical distancing. As a representative of the school you are placed in, you will be encouraged to follow safety protocols even when outside the building so that if you run into parents and students you are modeling the state recommended guidelines.
4. University supervisors may be meeting with you and your cooperating teacher remotely to lessen the number of bodies in the building.  You may be videotaping your lessons for remote observations.
5. You will be encouraged to make good, professional decisions about exposure when working in schools.  Therefore, you will be asked to refrain from travel over weekends and breaks whenever possible and will need to follow any school division policies about quarantines.  Schools are very concerned about practicum students being careful to not spread the coronavirus through unsafe practices.  We believe that as responsible pre-professionals, you will make good decisions!
Student teaching:
If you are scheduled as a fall student teacher, we are working on your placements in some divisions.  You may have already received your placements if they were confirmed and you met all requirements for student teaching.  Some important information to date:
To meet current licensure regulations - All student teaching candidates must be placed with a cooperating teacher who is physically present in the school and primarily providing instruction in face-to-face environments. Some of your experience will likely be planning and instructing in virtual learning environments, but the majority of your experience must be in-person instruction.
Reminder: You will begin working with your cooperating teacher on August 26th whether or not students have begun.
Important note - I know that some school boards (e.g. PWCS) have decided that instruction will be only virtual (not face-to-face) until late October.  This will affect the current VDOE licensure regulations.  I am waiting for a response from the state now and I will contact our fall student teachers directly when I know more!!
For student teaching, please be aware -
1. In addition to the background check requirement for your school division(s), the state is requiring anyone attending a school-based placement to fill out a COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk Form.  You will not be able to attend a field placement without it.  It will be sent out at the beginning of the semester.
2. Student teachers MUST follow any school protocols in the division they are placed.  These will minimally include self-screening, good hygiene, mask wearing and physical distancing. As a representative of the school you are placed in, you will be encouraged to follow safety protocols even when outside the building so that if you run into parents and students you are modeling the state recommended guidelines.
3. University supervisors may be meeting with you and your cooperating teacher remotely to lessen the number of bodies in the building.  You may be videotaping your lessons for remote observations.
4. You will be encouraged to make good, professional decisions about exposure when you are working in schools.  Therefore, you will be asked to refrain from travel over weekends and breaks whenever possible and will need to follow any school division policies about quarantines.  Schools are very concerned about student teachers being careful to not spread the coronavirus through unsafe practices.  We believe that as responsible pre-professionals, you will make good decisions!
This is an exciting opportunity for you as a teacher candidate to learn from this unique experience about the importance of flexibility and resiliency in the teaching profession. Again, let me know if you have questions.
Wishing you all good health and good spirits!

Best,
Dara

Dara Hall, Ph.D.
Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success
Education Support Center, Memorial Hall 7230/40
JMU College of Education
540-568-2996