FEAST-L Archives

November 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Chaone Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chaone Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:50:31 -0500
Bonnie Mann's Women's Liberation: Feminism, Postmodernism, and the Sublime (Oxford: 2006) contains a sustained treatment of the way in which the Kantian sublime is saturated with gender politics, partly in the form of a devaluation of the feminized sphere of necessity (which also links to a devaluation of the natural world, a relationship we can recuperate through the construction of a "feminist politics of place") and the reification of the masculine/ized mind that comprehends, but stands outside of and above, the awe, terror, and sublimity of natural environments. I highly recommend it, very philosophically challenging and rich.

Chaone
Chaone Mallory, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Philosophy