FEAST-L Archives

March 2016

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Bonnie Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bonnie Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2016 09:28:34 -0700
Dear FEAST Members,

Just writing to make list members aware of the national, right-wing
attack on University of Oregon historian of science Mark Carey and his
collaborators for their call for considering questions of gender in the
science/sociology of glacier research. Their essay "Glaciers, Gender and
Science" in the journal Progress in Human Geography has come under
attack in prominent conservative national media,like FOX news, the Wall
Street Journal, National Review, New York Post, Washington Free Beacon,
Daily Caller, etc. These public attacks have been accompanied by an
outpouring of hate mail sent directly to the researchers. These attacks
are targeting not only feminist science research related to climate
change, but the National Science Foundation which funded Carey's
research. This is something all feminist scholars, but especially
philosophers of science, should be following. Please disseminate widely.
See Mark's email below.

Bonnie

---
Dr. Bonnie Mann
Head and Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1295
541-346-5549

Author:
Sovereign Masculinity:  Gender Lessons from the War on Terror (Oxford
University Press, 2014)
Women's Liberation and the Sublime:  Feminism, Postmodernism,
Environment (Oxford University Press, 2006)