FEAST-L Archives

November 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Margaret Crouch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:58:56 -0500
I am posting this on behalf of the NASSP. Please nominate books, especially
from FEAST members!

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS:

The North American Society for Social Philosophy honours the best book
published in social philosophy each year with the NASSP Book Award. The
Book Award Committee invites you to nominate a book to compete for this
award for the year 2012.

The Award will be offered to the book published in 2012 that makes the most
significant contribution to social philosophy. The field is to be construed
broadly, to include social and political philosophy, philosophy of law,
philosophy of social science, and social ethics. Excluded are anthologies,
historical studies, works on ethics that lack a distinctly social component
as well as works on a social topic that lack a substantial philosophical
component.

Note: For the purposes of this competition, a book will normally be
considered to have been published in the year of its copyright, rather than
the year of its release, unless there are exceptional circumstances that
warrant otherwise.

The Award is presented each year at our annual conference, where the author
receives a plaque and participates in a panel presentation on the book. The
winning book and other nominated books are displayed at the conference and
publicized in our newsletter and in our refereed journal, *The Journal of
Social Philosophy*.

Please take a few moments and consider which book or books published in
2012 you thought best – then click the link below to send your nomination
to this year’s book award committee. You may also click the link if you
have questions; it will be sent to the entire committee. To keep the task
manageable, the Book Award Committee will need to receive your nominations
by December 31, 2012.

The 2012 book award committee consists of

Chris Lowry (chair), University of Waterloo, [log in to unmask]

Gaile Polhaus, Miami University, [log in to unmask]

Elizabeth Sperry, William Jewell College, [log in to unmask]

Click here to PLACE YOUR
NOMINATION<[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]>

Please include:

Your Name, Author(s) (if it isn’t you), Title, Publisher

Some Past Winners of the NASSP Book Award:

·      Ben Berger, *Attention Deficit Democracy* (Princeton University
Press, 2011)

·      Stephen Nathanson, *Terrorism and the Ethics of War* (Cambridge
University Press, 2010)

·      Amartya Sen, *The Idea of Justice* (Harvard University Press, 2009)

·      G. A. Cohen, *Rescuing Justice and Equality* (Harvard University
Press, 2008)

·      Will Kymlicka, *Multicultural Odysseys* (Oxford University Press,
2007)

--
Margaret A. Crouch
Professor of Philosophy