FEAST-L Archives

November 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mindi Torrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mindi Torrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:53:33 -0500
Alison,

This may or may not be helpful, but I have found Sue Campbell's work on
emotion to be invaluable.  Her book *Interpreting the Personal *focuses
heavily on philosophical analysis, including historical analyses of Darwin,
James, Alston, and Ryle's philosophy of emotion.  One primary aim is to
reject the philosophical focus on paradigm emotion categories heavily
relied on in the tradition of philosophies of emotion.  On her view, though
emotions are socially determined, they are not reducible to the social.
 Emotional individuation, expression, and interpretation is social and
public, yet particular and unique.  Unfortunately, Campbell devotes just
one quick chapter to the political relevance of her work.

A much shorter argument can be found in Campbell's essay "Philosophy and
the Protection of the Personal", which argues for the importance of
interpreters in the formation of feelings.  She argues that interpretations
of emotions have political implications, especially with respect to how we
categorize people based on their emotional lives.  Contra the tradition of
philosophies of emotion, for Campbell, the uptake of emotion is
constitutive of its individuation as a particular emotion.

Mindi

Mindi Torrey
PhD student
Department of Philosophy