FEAST-L Archives

September 2019

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
helen lauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
helen lauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 06:55:20 +0000

|  UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAMCollege of HumanitiesDepartment of Philosophy and Religious Studies>is hosting<The African Philosophy Society'sThe Third Biennial African Philosophy World ConferenceOctober 28-30, 2019
Theme:
Building Africa’s Future on African Philosophy

 update September 20, 2019
             Seasoned and early careerphilosophers, humanities scholars and scientists across these disciplines, willshare their critical insights, reflective conceptions, philosophicalperspectives, reasoned prophecies about their researchin the larger picture of Africans' and the wider world’s future policies andpractices, based upon Africans’ reflections upon African experiences.

             Participationis welcome by audience members’ discussion and feedback; dialogue is a keypurpose of the gathering. Presentations will reflect upon the foundations,history and future of knowledge practice, ethics, education, the prevailingsignificance of social and political relationships, sciences and technologies,jurisprudence, philosophy of medicine, bioethics, metaphysics, phenomenology,comparative religions, commercial corporate affairs, conducted in and aboutAfrica and about the human condition worldwide, illuminated throughperspectives radiating from Africa.

Invited, confirmedguest keynote speakers

RwekazaS. Mukandala (Mwalimu Nyerere ChairPan African Studies, UDSM) - confirmed

Wole Soyinka, Nobel Laureate in Literature 1986 (Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria) –confirmed

Rev.Sr. Marie Pauline Eboh, (Rivers State U. Sci& Tech, Nigeria) – confirmed

LaurentiMagesa, Nairobi (DioceseMusoma, Tanzania) – confirmed

Amongthe anticipated plenary panelists & special roundtable participants

BarryHallen (Southern Cross Academic, Nigeria / USA)

PaulinHountondji, (Univ. Nationale du Bénin, African Centre for Advanced Studies)

MogobeB. Ramose (Pretoria, South Africa)

HamzaM. Njozi (VC Muslim University of Morogoro)

Launching 4 Annual Philosophical Essay Prize Competitions for Africanearly-career academics

v  Samir Amin Memorial Essay on Leadership in Africa’s Future

v  John S. Mbiti Essay on African Philosophy and Religion

v  Kwasi Wiredu Essay on African Metaphysics and Epistemology

v  Sirkku Hellsten Memorial Essay on African Ethics of Governance andCorporate Responsibility
AfricanPhilosophy Society International Steering CommitteeEdwin Etieyibo PhD,Assoc Professor Witswatersrand U., JohannesburgJonathan Chimakonam PhD,Convener Conversational School of Philosophy, U. CalabarJim Unah PhD,Professor, University of Lagos, President Nigerian Philo Assoc.Edward J. Alam PhD,Pontifical Council, Professor Notre Dame Univ-Louaize, BeirutIke Odimegwu PhD, Professorof Philosophy, Nnamdi Azikiwe U., AwkaJuma Fred Okoiti PhD,Philo, Hist. & Religion Dept. Egerton U., Nairobi
UDSM Local Organising Committee:Co-chair Dr. Nandera E. Mhando, Head of Department Philo & ReligiousStudies Dept.Co-chair Helen Lauer, Professor of philosophy, UDSM, Dar es SalaamDepartment faculty & Philosophy Club, College of Humanities
Forfurther communication please contact the Local Committee at <[log in to unmask]>

                Pleasecontact the conference email address for payment information as soon aspossible.

Meanwhile the letter already sent to you is meantto serve in your application for institutional permission support, and visaapplication where applicable. The individual in Tanzania to whom you can referas your contact is mentioned below, including an address on location and aphone number. If and when you need further documentation about your host, e.g.proof of residency status, advise via the dedicated email address: <[log in to unmask]>

If you need a visa referral to purchase your visaon arrival, this needs to be addressed as soon as possible – please contact theconference email address to provide details required for our application onyour behalf.