FEAST-L Archives

October 2010

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Amanda Gibeault <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Gibeault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:59:54 -0400
Hi,

As the Canadians on this list know, our government has introduced a
bill (C-49) that will make it all sorts of difficult for asylum
seekers, purporting to target only smugglers, and conflating smuggling
and trafficking.

 I'm helping out with the Canadian Council for Refugees. I'm looking
for research that shows that disincentives for claimants such as
detention, preventing claimants from getting family reunification and
permanent status, are ineffective (I'm also happy if you know of new
or innovative work on the injustice, particularly with a gender focus.).

Thanks!

Amanda Gibeault