FEAST-L Archives

November 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Sally Haslanger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Haslanger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:43:45 -0500
Dear all (apologies for cross-posting - I wanted to reach as many as
possible):

As you may know, the APA has been going through some important and positive
changes.  I have just returned from the November Board of Officers meeting
and believe there is tremendous good will for improving the situation for
women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups in the profession.

However, one major roadblock is that the APA is still barely breaking even
financially (which is better than it was before!).  We need a strong
National Office in order to make positive change, but a strong National
Office that is positioned to take action costs money.

I realize that in the recent past many have stopped renewing their
membership to the APA (or have never become members at all).  This is
totally understandable.  I urge you, however, to become a member (or renew)
at this crucial time.  Your membership may be tax deductible, and in some
schools you can be reimbursed for the cost.  Here is the membership link:
http://www.apaonline.org/general/register_start.asp

*Even more to the point, the new APA website has an option that allows you
to make donations to a fund for diversity and inclusiveness. *
http://www.apaonline.org/donations/
So far, very few have taken advantage of this opportunity.  But this is
where we can really make a difference.  Small (and large!) contributions
add up. Donations will go to supporting proposals that the APA is not
currently in a position to fund.  If you are an APA member, you will also
soon be notified of a Request for Proposals from the APA to support
substantial efforts to address these issues.

Please consider making a donation and,* through your networks,* *urge
others to do so as well.*  You may not be positioned to organize a program
that increases diversity and inclusiveness - few of us are! - but let us
together support those who can make a difference to our profession.

Thanks, in advance,
Sally
President, Eastern APA

Sally Haslanger
Professor of Philosophy and Women's and Gender Studies
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
http://sallyhaslanger.weebly.com