FEAST-L Archives

December 2016

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Naomi Scheman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Naomi Scheman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2016 14:39:05 -0500
Yes, if such a list is complied, Eva definitely belongs on it. I don't know
if anyone is actually compiling names, but if so, as another recently
retired philosopher, I would like to add my name. Also Wittgenstein and
Spinoza.
naomi

*Naomi SchemanProfessor of Philosophy and Gender, Women, & Sexuality
Studies (GWSS)Affiliate faculty, Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of
Global Change (ICGC)University of MinnesotaPhilosophy Department--271 19th
Ave. S., Minneapolis MN 55455*

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Bonnie Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> written up years ago by _Accuracy in Academia,_ a right-wing and
>>> Moonie connected newspaper targeting liberal academics, I can attest
>>> how unpleasant, even threatening, it is to have a former student
>>> standing outside the class you are going to teach and handing out
>>> “newspapers” falsely claiming that you mistreated him and that
>>> he had been forced to correct the falsehoods you had been teaching.
>>> The student was upset first, I suppose, by my assigning a short
>>> piece by Simone de Beauvoir—the course was existentialism--but
>>> mainly by that fact that I had not given him the great grade he
>>> thought he deserved for the superficial and ad hominem-filled paper
>>> he had written on it.  Unfortunately, his Walter Mitty version of
>>> events and his dissemination of it probably seems mild given what is
>>> going on in our society today (with death threats and such), but it
>>> does make plain how difficult it is to avoid being singled out.
>>>
>>> Linda A Bell
>>> Emerita Professor of Philosophy and Director of the Women’s
>>> Studies Institute
>>> Georgia State University
>>>
>>> FROM: Feminist ethics and social theory
>>> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] ON BEHALF OF Shari Stone-Mediatore
>>> SENT: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:21 AM
>>> TO: [log in to unmask]
>>> SUBJECT: Re: George Yancy's "dangerous ideas"
>>>
>>> I love all of these ideas.  And Noelle's message (in Socratic style)
>>> has inspired me to write in a tip for putting Socrates on the list.
>>>
>>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Toddie Peters <[log in to unmask]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I first saw the watchlist yesterday, I thought – wouldn't it
>>> be interesting to collectively create an alternative site that
>>> flipped the narrative?
>>>
>>> My first thought was to create a “Professors to Watch” watchlist
>>> that began with the very same list of people and short outlines that
>>> highlight their philosophical arguments or pedagogy or testimonies
>>> from their students about how/what they learned in their classes.
>>>
>>> There are infinite things a website like this could do to offer a
>>> counter-narrative to the one promoted by Turning Point. Such a
>>> website could also serve as a basic educational tool for the broader
>>> public about philosophy and ethics with definitions about a variety
>>> of things that are increasingly contested in society (ie – facts,
>>> opinion, argument, assertion, liberal feminism, intersectionality).
>>>
>>> Toddie
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rebecca Todd Peters
>>>
>>> Professor
>>>
>>> Department of Religious Studies
>>>
>>> Elon University
>>>
>>> 2340 Campus Box
>>>
>>> Elon, NC 27244
>>>
>>> blog: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.path
>>> eos.com_blogs_todojustice_&d=CwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4
>>> uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2x
>>> dYtuNH80&m=ymrhyx1kz_mbqdRaMB0ed-n-QTRYtm5Ec_SnvFYHrC4&s=Ak_