FEAST-L Archives

May 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Shay Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shay Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 11:50:19 -0400
FEAST Mentoring Program details:

Eligibility: Participation is limited to members who have paid their annual
dues.  Mentees must be enrolled graduate students.  Mentors must be tenured
(given the constraints and pressures of pre-tenure existence).

Application process: Graduate students who would like to apply should put
together an application package to be sent to the graduate student
representative ([log in to unmask]).  Applications should consist of a CV,
1000 word writing sample in the area of interest, and a separate 1 page
explanation of interests and mentoring goals. APPLICATION DEADLINE: for
2008-2009 is OCTOBER 15th.

Volunteer process:  This is a volunteer system.  Faculty members who are
interested in participating in the mentoring program should send a short
email to the graduate student representative ([log in to unmask]).  The
email should include areas of work and projects of interest. Additional
information regarding goals or time limitations is welcome; it may aid in
the matching process.  There is no deadline for faculty volunteers.

Matching: Mentor and mentee will be coupled according to similarities of
work interests and expectations.

Formal expectations: Given that this is a wholly voluntary system, there are
no formal requirements.

Informal guidelines:  There are a few guidelines that we would like to
suggest in order for the program to be consistent for all of its
participants.  Here is a short list of ideas that the steering committee has
put together:

   1. There should be a commitment-free trial period of about three months
   where either party may exit the partnership for any reason.
   2. Exchanges between partners need not extend beyond email.  Other forms
   of communication are certainly permissible but many prefer limiting their
   communications to email.
   3. We request that exchanges take place within a timely fashion.  Both
   graduate students and faculty members have a full load of work.  If one
   partner sends a question or sends comments on work then the other should do
   his or her best to reply within a reasonable time frame.  We all
   recognize that issues such as paper grading or conference deadlines can cut
   into our other activities so all one need do is simply inform the other of
   the priority and try to give a projected time for a follow-up.
   4. Mentoring content might include the following: questions about
   projects, conferences, publication, job interviews, and CV; abstract
   reviews; idea "bouncing"; suggestions for reading; etc.  While draft
   review is certainly encouraged, mentors should not be *expected* to
   review full drafts.  However, if both partners feel that this is
   appropriate then feel free!  Mentees should be aware that they should
   send only polished (rather than rough) drafts to their mentor.
   5. Any and all other components of the mentor/mentee are open to creative
   construction!

Please pay up on your dues (graduate students!), recruit new members, and
consider taking advantage of what I hope will be a long lasting addition to
FEAST.

Shay Welch

FEAST Graduate Student Representative