FEAST-L Archives

November 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Nancy Tuana <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Tuana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:53:41 -0500
The Rock Ethics Institute at Penn State has multiple postdoc opportunities
starting next year.  These will be excellent opportunities for FEAST
related PhDs to get experience with interdisciplinary scholarship and
practice and/or working with scientists and social scientists doing
coupled epistemic-ethical analyses.

Please encourage folks you know to apply.

Best,

Nancy

_______________

Rock Ethics Institute Postdoctoral Scholars The Pennsylvania State
University   The Rock Ethics Institute at Penn State
http://rockethics.psu.edu/ has a threefold mission to promote ethics
education, research, and outreach.  In particular, we aim a) to integrate
ethics education across the Penn State curriculum and to provide informal
ethics education to our community in order to underscore and strengthen a
culture of integrity and responsibility at Penn State, and b) to serve as
a catalyst for interdisciplinary research in the field of ethics that is
both collaborative and policy-relevant.   We pursue our educational aim by
working with faculty across the university to provide them with the
knowledge and skills they need to integrate ethics into their
undergraduate classes. We are also launching a program to train STEM
(Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) graduate students and
postdoctoral scholars to become leaders and educators in the field of
research ethics. Our research efforts have led to a series of exciting
collaborations related to food ethics, neuroethics, and climate ethics,
including a recent NSF sponsored research network for Sustainable Climate
Risk Management Strategies http://scrimhub.org/which will investigate the
question: “What are sustainable, scientifically sound, technologically
feasible, economically efficient, and ethically defensible climate risk
management strategies?” At least four ten-month postdoctoral scholarships
will be awarded with appointments beginning August 2013. Appointments are
for full time employment (40 hours per week) and may be continued for a
maximum of 3 years contingent upon satisfactory performance and the needs
of the Institute. The salary range is $45,000-$60,000 per year, depending
on experience. We are interested in hiring Postdoctoral Scholars with
expertise in the following areas:

Science and ethics, with particular interest in coupled epistemic-ethical
issues in climate change science and in the life sciences
Engineering ethics
Bioethics, with particular interest in food ethics
Business ethics
Ethics education and moral literacy, with particular interest in ethics
education assessment
Ethical leadership
Ethics in K-12 curriculum
Research ethics
Institutional ethics
Agricultural ethics
Scholars will receive training and mentorship. They will be expected to
assist in designing, offering, and assessing ethics training for faculty
and graduate students, to participate in collaborative research in ethics,
and to help to strengthen the interdisciplinary ethics community across
the campus. Scholars can expect to work on co-authored publications and
engage in research that will contribute to their own research trajectory.
Scholars may also receive experience working on grants and other
fundraising activities. They will also work closely with senior faculty
related to their area of expertise and participate in multi-disciplinary
seminars and conferences. There may be opportunities to teach one class
per year. Applicants are expected to have completed the requirements for
the Ph.D. or professional degree by the appointment date.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit an online application at
http://www.la.psu.edu/facultysearch/ and arrange for three letters of
recommendation to be sent confidentially to Deborah Trialonas at
A complete application will include the following materials:
1.      A cover letter detailing the candidate’s qualifications, including
how their background qualifies them for one or more of the above listed
areas of interest and how their experience is relevant to the position as
described;
2.      A current curriculum vitae;
3.      A scholarly paper or dissertation chapter (not to exceed 12,000
words) representing the applicant’s scholarly achievement or potential;
4.      Three letters of recommendation.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications should be received by
January 4, 2013. The selection committee will begin reviewing applications
immediately and incomplete applications may be at a disadvantage.  We will
be interviewing candidates February 20-23, 2013 at the Central APA in New
Orleans.  Skype interviews will be arranged for those unable to attend the
Central APA meetings.
We encourage applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds.
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in
accordance with University policies. Penn State is committed to
affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity of its workplace.