FEAST-L Archives

January 2014

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Susan J. Brison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan J. Brison
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 01:12:49 +0000
Hear, hear! I'm happy to see this thread and recommend the readings Diana mentioned.

Best,

Susan

On Jan 23, 2014, at 7:33 PM, Meyers, Diana wrote:

> I havenıt been able to follow every bit of this conversation, but I hope
> Iım not repeating earlier posts. Some feminist philosophers have started
> discussing age/aging.  Margaret Walker edited a collection on aging called
> Mother Time (Rowman and Littlefield), and my collection Being Yourself
> (Rowman and Littlefield) includes a chapter called ³Feminine Mortality
> Imagery: Feminist Riposts.²  I hope there will be lots more work ‹ maybe a
> future Hypatia special issue ‹ on women and aging.  Best, Diana
> **************************************
> Diana Tietjens Meyers
> Professor Emerita of Philosophy
> University of Connecticut, Storrs
> http://dianatietjensmeyers.wordpress.com/
>

> On 1/23/14, 2:07 PM, "Alison Reiheld" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>>
>> I would be interested in seeing more philosophical work on age and
>> ageing, along
>> the lines of what Judy is considering.
>>
>> One thing that got me thinking about this lately, along with
>> heteronormativity
>> and gender/sex dichotomy and pronatalism and granting full moral status
>> to the
>> fetus and biological parenting, is the following "stages of life" my
>> kindergartener recently informed me about which they had learned during a
>> Health unit: first you grow in your mommy's belly, then you are born,
>> then you
>> are a baby, then a boy or a girl, then a teenager, then an adult, then a
>> mommy
>> or a daddy, then an elder, and then you die.
>>
>> There is a lot to work with there.
>>
>> Best,
>> Alison
>>  --------------------------------------------------
>>  Alison Reiheld
>>  Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
>>  College of Arts and Sciences
>>  SIU-Edwardsville
>>  --------------------------------------------------
>>

>> Quoting Judy Andre <[log in to unmask]>:
>>
>>> A first, basic, point: Everyone has "age," just as everyone has race,
>>> culture, and gender. Age is a relational term, but a largely
>>> untheorized one.
>>> That's what I'm after.
>>>
>>> Questions of justice arises immediately: Are some parts of the life span
>>> privileged at the expense of others? See Toni Calasanti et al on that
>>> question.
>>>
>>> But I'm after something else: the last stage of life in our own culture
>>> lacks
>>> meaning. There are no ideals, obligations, responsibilities; few
>>> rights; no
>>> initiation ceremonies. Could/should that be different? If so, in what
>>> relationship to other stages of life? Sentient biological beings are
>>> aware of
>>> their place on a spectrum, and that awareness is part of their
>>> self-understanding.
>>>
>>> I should have mentioned that Peg Simons has also worked on these
> [...]
>>> so).  I see the "old-fashioned" label as an ad-hominem, and
> [...]
>>> let go immediately.
>>>
>>> There are some very, very fine independent scholars who have chosen that
>>> route for a variety of reasons, and have made SUBSTANTIAL contributions
>>> philosophy, including feminist philosophy (and often continue to do so)
>>> --
>>> Helen Bequaert Holmes comes quickly to mind as one major example.
>>> Given her
>>> remarkable early work on feminsit bioethics, it is untinkable to me
>>> that she
>>> would not be most enthusically included in an inaugural version of
>>> "Women of
>>> Philosophy."
>>>
>>> Forgive me, please.  But, then of course, I know you will.
>>>
>>> All best,
>>> Joan
>>>

>>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Eva Kittay
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>> It was not because there were emeritus that they were not on.  The list
>>> was I
>>> guess just a way to get this going. I was left out as were all my
>>> colleagues
>>> at SBU.  I have just urged everyone to sign themselves in.  It is a
>>> very good
>>> thing to have.  So I join my thanks to those of others. But it would
>>> help if
>>> people were alerted that the list was still a work in progress with
>>> respect
>>> to its comprehensiveness.  It's clear however that you are welcome to
>>> add
>>> yourself or others.
>>> Best, Eva
>>>
>>> Eva Feder Kittay
>>> Distinguished Professor of Philosophy
>>> Stony Brook University
>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>> 212-333-4670<tel:212-333-4670>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On Jan 21, 2014, at 1:58 PM, "Meyers, Diana"
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> My sample is limited, but almost all the emerita philosophers I know are
>>> women currently working in philosophy.  Those who donıt feel they
>>> belong on
>>> the list because theyıve lost interest in teaching and/or writing can
>>> opt
>>> out, I imagine.  Thanks so much, Sally and volunteers, for compiling
>>> this
>>> list.  Best, Diana
>>> **************************************
>>> Diana Tietjens Meyers
>>> Professor Emerita of Philosophy
>>> University of Connecticut, Storrs
>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>> http://dianatietjensmeyers.wordpress.com/
>>>

>>> From: Linda Lopez McAlister
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>>> Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM
>>> To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>"
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>>> Subject: Re: Women in Philosophy Directory Launched!
>>>
>>> It's a bit confusing, Sally, since the page itself says "women currently

>>> class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div dir=3D"ltr"><p =
>>> class=3D"MsoNormal" =
>>> style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span =
>>> style=3D"font-family:Arial">Dear all:</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal" =
>>> style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span =
>>> style=3D"font-family:Arial">I would like to let you know about a new =
>>> directory of women philosophers. &nbsp;It can be found at:</span><span =
>>> class=3D"MsoNormal" =
>>> style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span =
>>> style=3D"font-family:Arial"><a
>>> href=3D"http://www.womenofphilosophy.com/" =
>>>
>> target=3D"_blank">www.womenofphilosophy.com<http://www.womenofphilosophy.c
>> om></a>.</span><span
>>> =
>>> class=3D"MsoNormal" =
>>> style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span =
>>> style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span =
>>> style=3D"font-family:Arial">This is a crowd-sourced database searchable
>>> =
>>> by 1) name, 2) school, 3) faculty position, 4) areas of specialization,
>>> =
>>> 5) primary research interests, and 6) geographical location. It =
>>> currently contains over 650 names of women philosophers working on =
>>> faculties of higher education across the world.&nbsp;<span =
>>> style=3D"color:rgb(20,20,20)">As it stands, the listing is far from =
>>> comprehensive, and we are relying on the goodwill of members of the =
>>> profession to keep the database up-to-date and as comprehensive as =
>>> possible.&nbsp;</span></span><span =
>>> class=3D"MsoNormal" =
>>> style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span =
>>> style=3D"font-family:Arial"><span =