FEAST-L Archives

February 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Carol Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 14:44:28 -0500
Hi Shay,

     If I may, reciprocity (and its relation to mutuality) has been an
ongoing theme in my work.  I specifically analyze the concept of
reciprocity in an early article that appeared in the *Boston Studies in the
Philosophy of Science*.  Not sure I have a scan of it to send you, but you
can probably find it online.  (Let me know if not, and I'll scan and send
it).  It's entitled "Beyond Causality in the Social Sciences: Reciprocity
as a Model of Non-Exploitative Social Relations," in *Epistemology,
Methodology and the Social Sciences:  Boston Studies in the Philosophy of
Science*, vol. 71, ed. R. S. Cohen and M. W. Wartofsky (Boston and
Dordrecht: D. Reidel, 1983), 53-88.  The various forms of reciprocity there
(tit for tat or instrumental, reciprocity of respect, etc.) play a role in
my book *Rethinking Democracy *(CUP, 1988), especially chapter 1, and in
subsequent work, most recently, in my “Recognition in Redistribution:  Care
and Diversity in Global Justice,” *Southern Journal of Philosophy*, 46
(2008, Supplement): 91-103.  Another important study of reciprocity proper
is the book by Larry Becker, entitled *Reciprocity *(Univ. of Chicago
Press, 1990).

     An important concept, worthy of much more analysis.  Looking forward
to reading your work on this!

           All best,
            Carol

Carol C. Gould
Distinguished Professor
Philosophy, Hunter College; Doctoral Programs in Philosophy and Political
Science, The Graduate Center, City University of New York
Director, Center for Global Ethics & Politics at the Ralph Bunche
Institute: http://web.gc.cuny.edu/ralphbuncheinstitute/cgep/
Editor, Journal of Social Philosophy:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9833<http://web.gc.cuny.edu/ralphbuncheinstitute/cgep/>
Co-Director, Mellon Sawyer Seminar Series:
mellonsaywerseminar.ws.gc.cuny.edu/schedule-2/
Personal web page:  http://www.carolcgould.com/
Ralph Bunche Institute, Suite 5203.04, 365 Fifth Avenue, NY, NY 10016;
212-817-1940

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Shay Welch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Are there any feminist monographs or anthologies on reciprocity?  Or any
articles written about feminist reciprocity?  While I have tons of stuff
that talks about reciprocity, I cannot find a source that has the concept
as its focus.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.