STS-PEDAGOGIES-L Archives

February 2021

STS-PEDAGOGIES-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Gabi Schaffzin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gabi Schaffzin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2021 21:00:15 +0000
Hi All,

Please consider submitting a paper proposal for our 4s 2021 open panel, "Utilizing STS Pedagogies in Design Education". More information on the call can be seen below. The deadline to submit is March 8th via the 4s online proposal system<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__convention2.allacademic.com_one_ssss_ssss21_&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Gx48-YgimiBBdyLifVJWTO_THf5Tbk1B4Pih1RMMl__5tfZqNkmVq0hTDS98npzj&m=kMOHpW7XKvkXn1rnwdgHTpGFM7lt2r-Ho8IxeuonxBc&s=y-RFqTpbFRZjbivUUBSz4g5-D9CJeQkks3F0NF2gNyo&e= >. The conference<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.4sonline.org_meeting_&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Gx48-YgimiBBdyLifVJWTO_THf5Tbk1B4Pih1RMMl__5tfZqNkmVq0hTDS98npzj&m=kMOHpW7XKvkXn1rnwdgHTpGFM7lt2r-Ho8IxeuonxBc&s=D4W9FPhOygcHYr20bOZFPlc4WEUax3-uqSVjSOt3U5M&e= > will be held in a hybrid format both online and in Toronto, Oct 6–9.

Looking forward to collaborating,

Gabi & Zach

203. Utilizing STS Pedagogies in Design Education

Gabriel Schaffzin, York University, Toronto; Zachary Kaiser, Michigan State University

On June 9th, 2019, so-called “design ethicist” and former Google employee Tristan Harris, tweeted: “We need a new field of ‘Society & Technology Interaction’ (or STX).” The tweet caused a maelstrom of reactions from STS scholars and others, who used it as a classic example of the willful ignorance of industrial actors towards decades-old scholarship about their field. Harris eventually deleted the tweet and apologized for “a poor choice of words”: “We want to see a world where the field of design…[is] equipped with an applied view of the fields you mention.” This panel explores how this work is already being done and how it might continue.

Arguably, Design Studies has been an STS field for over 35 years: in 1984, Hillier, Musgrove, and O’Sullivan argue that architecture should be taught alongside scientific philosophers such as Popper, Kuhn, and Lakatos; five years later, design theorist Victor Margolin uses Dickson, Feyerabend, and Aronowitz to argue that “we cannot conceive of any theory of design…independent of a theory of society” (1989); and in 2015, Cameron Tonkinwise argues that Actor-Network Theory is inherently designerly.

Design educators teach students to design artifacts which are necessarily embedded within sociotechnical and technoscientific systems. What, then, can STS offer the design academy? How can students connect their studio work with its broader implications? We aim to assemble a panel of teacher-scholars who will directly address pedagogical approaches.

—
Gabi Schaffzin, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Design

School of the Arts Media Performance & Design
York University
4008 Dahdaleh Building | 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON M3J 1P3 Canada
416.736.2100
design.yorku.ca<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__design.yorku.ca_&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Gx48-YgimiBBdyLifVJWTO_THf5Tbk1B4Pih1RMMl__5tfZqNkmVq0hTDS98npzj&m=kMOHpW7XKvkXn1rnwdgHTpGFM7lt2r-Ho8IxeuonxBc&s=OhuiBTtX7i_aP-rcK9yDUmCreSZvzSa07K8jU6J5kjU&e= >

he/him/his