TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alexander Elung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:19:07 +0000
Atom also means undividable, but consists of smaller parts as well.  One body is an individual compared to the collective of many bodies.  You can divide a collective of bodies into smaller groups, but you can’t divide a single body without it becoming something different than a body.  That’s why we call it individual. One individual body. It doesn’t mean that it exists in a vacuum or that it is unchanging.  Just as an atom is an individual of many atoms, even though it can be divided into other parts.

I can use body and individual interchangeably – the reason why I am insisting on not giving individual up, is that I am familiar with anti-individualist literature that use those language games as a shallow façade for totalitarian ideology.  I’m not saying you are doing that – but I firmly believe we need the individual in order to understand individual freedom, rights and ethics.

But let’s continue this elsewhere, if there is more to discuss.

Over and out.
Elung