TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Brent Allsop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2019 19:49:03 -0600
Hi Waldemar,

Thanks and good point.

I haven’t really considered the value of not being dependent on others,
like this.  I guess I’m kind of a social being, and thinking we're all just
one big happy family.  The same really, especially once we can
computationally bind all of our consciousness together.  (I know, I know,
that's what the "borg <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Borg&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=K3xYrYlgJMSJjWZJEGMKpBqmZozMtSzfcCSCmeLctbQ&s=128GUNhU40MetH8LTGdFCBQ4afZ5VFEgxzvDLCInhmY&e=>" are, right? ;)

Still, I have a problem with people that believe in Hellfire and
Damnation.  I ask them if, when they are in heaven, and a loved one is
burning in hell, if they’ll feel uncomfortable at all?  They tend to do
things like dig up scriptures that more or less say every tear shall be
dried, and nobody will be sad, even though they admit they don’t know how.
I just had a 7th day Adventist tell me exactly this to this question on an
airplane the other day.  But for me, any such (maybe the kind of
psychological programming you’re suggesting?) which could make people
comfortable with a loved one burning in hellfire - my conscience tells me
that any such programming would be nothing but devilish.

I understand.  If resurrecting someone isn’t yet possible, or if the person
really does want to be dead (for some reason I can’t understand), then
yes.  Psychological programming could help.  I believe in the opposite of
the golden rule.  The traditional golden rule dictates that I resurrect
Peter, because it is what I want, and Peter should let me die, because that
is what he wants.  I think the better rule is: “Do unto others as THEY
want.”  So, if that is truly the case, I don’t think I’ll need much
additional psychological programming. 😉

Brent