TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

June 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2018 14:06:29 +0000
Hi Corinne,

  Thanks for continuing the conversation, because I really did not address what you were asking. If I were going to lead something for JMU faculty, I would initiate an "Engagement toward Shared Values" Conversation series. The goal would be to bring folks together who have strong feelings about this and foster dialogue based on CALM MO principles. I participated in something similar to what I envision here, which was called Intergroup Dialogue<https://www.jmu.edu/cfi/career-development/faculty-communities/intergroup-dialogues.shtml>, and our CI program facilitates these. Intergroup Dialogue involves a 12 session meeting of individuals from different social identity categories. I participated in one that was for men and women (that also, interestingly, has about 50/50 white v. people of color). I would envision folks who were passionate about identity politics/diversity issues across the spectrum to come together and learn from one another.

  Anyway, as you may know, CALM MO stands for a reflective, deliberative attitude toward self and other that is curious, accepting, loving compassionate, and motivated to learn and grow toward valued states of being. I would advocate that folks enter into groups that last for some time so that people can actually get to know one another, rather than just come together and voice grievances. Then, everyone should have an opportunity to share their version of reality and be heard by the group from a CALM MO stance. Then the group should be exposed to visions and values about where we should go and have CALM conversations about them. For example, folks should watch the Munk Debates or read passionate articles like this one titled "Why Can't We Hate Men?" from today's Post<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-cant-we-hate-men/2018/06/08/f1a3a8e0-6451-11e8-a69c-b944de66d9e7_story.html?utm_term=.1b1ecf4e8803>.  The idea would be a real community could emerge, something different than a “colorblind” denial of minority issues versus the idea that everyone’s existence is inevitably defined by social category oppression.

  Of course, I am just about on sabbatical, so I won’t be doing that 😊. But that is the first brainstorm I would have about how we might go forward.