TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:36:41 -0600
From:
Chance McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Thank you, Gregg.  A worthy read indeed.

When I was a small boy I lived for a while on a rural hillside that was
very much a part of the wildlife.  I would play outside daily, and was
accompanied by a bumblebee that follow me or hover next to me while I did
whatever I was doing.  This "friendship" felt natural. So in this article I
was struck by the assertions that there is evidence that Bees can recognize
faces and also experience positive mental states.  As a reflective adult, I
am encouraged by the possibility of something in-between reductive
stimuli-response models of animal and insect life versus projecting
human-levels complexity onto the behaviors of creatures.