TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alexander Bard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2019 10:16:59 +0100
Dear Gregg

Let's allow ourselves to crosspost this discussion on both the Intellectual
Deep Web and the Tree of Knowledge as the issues concern both forums.

To begin with, I agree. And we need to work on a much much more
sophisticated quantum information theory than just "The Universe is a
Computer". But information is absolute key.

Please note here however how important it is to connect "the strong
emergence" with "the rolling of the dice". Why? Because strong emergences
are totally unique. The proper word for a strong emergence is "miracle". So
we are dealing here with that once-in-history kind of event that may or can
not be repeated. I repeat: Emergences are not phase transitions. Yes, it is
100% casual. We are certainly neo-Aristotelians. But since the cause
involves an element of dice rolled it can not be repeated. It can
consequently only be described though the science of history and not
through the science of nature. This is absolute key to emergence theory as
the foundation of process philosophy. So if say "life" happened just once
and in only one place, no wonder it is so hard for us to understand what
"life" is and grasping the extraordinary causal conditions leading up to
its event. Don't expect it to have happened anywhere else even in our
gargantuan universe. But cherish the miracle that it did happen. Our ethos
is life-preserving and life-expanding. Not machine-.preserving and
machine-expanding.

Next consider the implications strong emergences have on the concept of
time. There is literally a very strong before and a very strong after the
event of the strong emergence. There is clearly a non-life universe before
and a life universe after. Especially for advanced life forms like human
beings (who are writing history for and to themselves which is essentially
what history and science are, human-to-human narratives, nothing else is of
interest to us since nothing else has agency, as Latour would say). When I
work with my physics colleagues I therefore advocate a system of two time
dimensions so that we may save Einsteinian spacetime for whatever it is.
But there is also a "duration" pumping along quite nicely outside the world
of relativist clocks. And it is along this hypertimeline that events and
emergences alike occur. This makes it possible to create an existentialist
philosophy for each human being with three episodes divided by two strong
emergences. Ancestral life prior to your birth, existential life in between
birth and death, and then third the heritage life after you are dead. This
is where I will use Aristotle, Hegel and Heidegger to beat up the
Platonists. Because it the Platonists keep insisting that time is an
illusion, no wonder they must arrive at the conclusion that they themselves
are illusions too. So why should they even open their mouths and even less
think? The thoughtless hypocrites.

God may not play dice but Quantum Organics indeed does. Therefore we live
in a world with a future of freedom and openness. Also meaning The Great
Flood can happen at any given time too. But it truly is process and change
all the way down. And all the way up. Meaning The Grand Narrative should
now be built from the Zoroastrian concepts *haurvatat *(imperfect
perfection) and *ameretat *(mortal immortality) rather than the Platonist
nightmares called perfection and immortality. Let's begin by clearing
physics and maths from every single damn infinity sign. Infinity signs are
just cheating.

Best intentions
Alexander

Den tors 7 mars 2019 kl 14:56 skrev Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <