TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Critchfield, Ken - critchkl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 17:28:11 +0000
of interest here: The link  below has a rather extended review of post-modern intellectualism, at least as it plays out in academic circles, attributed by the Reddit author to Noam Chomsky - with Jordan Peterson's emailed response upon reading it (at the top, I guess we all are used to reading in upside-down order now thanks for email and listserv acculturation).

I think Chomsky puts something of a finer point on exactly which positions are being critiqued - not generically the "activist left," of which Chomsky is a particular kind of example, but a specific subset of the left, which doesn't seek to provide education (and related practical needs like access to food, democratic participation, autonomy, etc) to the masses, but instead seeks to constrain modes of social discourse such as legislating punishments for 'incorrect' pronoun use.

https://www.reddit.com/r/badphilosophy/comments/6g4zcg/jordan_peterson_responded_to_my_email_he_agrees/

(and the comments section is another interesting cultural moment)