TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alexis Kenny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2021 15:16:48 -0600
All,

A few months ago I came across a narrative that described an "invention"
that increased deaths and injuries within the population to a significant
degree and yet made things easier / more pleasant for nearly everyone. The
story ended with a sort of moral dilemma question - asking the reader if
they would accept the advantages of the invention even though it would mean
also accepting the injuries/deaths it caused. The reader then answers yes
or no and then the invention was named...it ends up being the automobile.

Long story to a short question...does anyone have the actual narrative of
this moral dilemma? I cannot, for the life of me, find it online. I think
it would be a useful tool within certain group therapy contexts and would
love to be able to locate it.

Many thanks!

Warmly,

Ali