TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alexander Bard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 19:47:08 +0100
Dearest Gregg

As you know already, I'm totally with you.
However how do we get people out of the Cartesian paradigm, which would
essentially "treat" them one by one "as patients" to then reinstall them
into a society which they would then lack the capacity to understand and
even less so question? I know Sociology at least tried this in the late
19th and early 20th centuries during its golden age with figures like
Durkheim and Weber. But these days, with pale figures like Habermas at best
as idols, there is little or nothing left of Sociology. Certainly not any
understanding of Digital that would prepare people for the forthcoming and
global onslaught.
This is where our ideas of The Grand Narrative come into the picture. It is
going to take us and many more collaborators years to build. But I believe
it is needed if we are to ground our ambitions solidly and not have them
swept away into thin air. Dignity and integrity are still communicative
values. But what lies beneath is a material reality, from money to
technology, that can not be covered over with just communicative values.
This is where causality comes in. Or as I, in a Heideggerian manner prefer
to call it, proper "grounding". Our work ahead is certainly cut out for us.
We just need to do the work on different levels simultaneously.

Best intentions
Alexander

Den mån 25 mars 2019 kl 15:40 skrev Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <