TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Steven Quackenbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2020 08:50:43 -0500
Hi everyone,

I'm glad to see that the perennial is-ought problem is getting the
attention it deserves on this listserv!   For the most part, I don't think
psychologists feel the weight of the problem.  I'll cite Kohlberg as a
noteable exception (as his account of moral development can be read as the
progressive de-yoking of* is* and *ought*).

Comments:

   - Nick writes: "There only IS, there is no ought."
      - There's a sense in which I agree with this.  The "ought" lacks
      ontic being.  It* is not.  *All we can say about it is that it *should
      be.*
      - I think we are making a category mistake when we question the*
      existence* of Value (akin to asking about the volume of a triangle).
         - We can indeed speak of "values" as existing states of affairs
         (as when we compare the ideologies that inform the thinking
of liberals and
         conservatives in the United States).  But these are simply values
         considered as facts.  Value *as such* is left untouched in these
         discussions. In the end, the question is not "what *do* I value",
         but rather, "what *should* I value?"
      - Michael writes: "Oughts are created in the very process of our
   intersubjective engagement with each other"
      - I agree, at least insofar as intersubjective engagement (the
      cultural dimension of human experience) gives rise to the
problem of value.

         - From this point of view, an important question concerns why the
         problem is ignored (or deemed irrelevant) by otherwise thoughtful
         individuals.
            - For some, I suspect that a tendency to deny the reality of
            the "ought" is a healthy response to an Other who imposes
(or threatens to
            impose) ego-dystonic values.   In other words, standing
against the "ought"
            may be a first step on the path to spiritual freedom. I'm
reminded here of
            the second of Nietzsche's "three metamorphoses" (see link
            <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nietzsche.holtof.com_Nietzsche-5Fthus-5Fspake-5Fzarathustra_I-5F01.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=rVhOmXU3MCP8htFkeCtogMLYieVZAI38mxfKDkvztLo&s=_RU4xYbAM63ZwWu4NHzbrD2Lo_lZQqm609kzYB166fw&e= >).
              But, needless to say, the "ought" so denied is not the
Ought that *ought
            to be*.
            - For others, a failure to appreciate the weight of the
            is-ought problem might be attributable to the fact that
the problem is
            truly meaningless* in the context of their experience*.   How
            do we explain the concept of color to a person blind since
            birth?   How do we explain Value to someone who has never
really been
            anything other than *what they are.*
               - I'm reminded here of Sartre's discussion of the role that
               generative relationships (e.g., parenting) play in
encouraging individuals
               to cross "the barrier of the moment" and consider their
lives in relation
               to a valuable future.
                  - According to Sartre (1971/1981), “if later on, with a
                  little luck, [the child] can say: ‘my life has a
purpose, I have found a
                  purpose in my life,’ it is because the parents’
love, their creation and
                  expectation…has revealed his existence to him as a
movement toward an
                  end...He is the conscious arrow that is awakened in
mid-flight and
                  discovers, simultaneously, the distant archer, the
target, and the
                  intoxication of flight” (p. 133).
                  - Simply put, the individual's subjective experience of
                  time as unfolding toward a meaningful future is
contingent upon the fact
                  that his/her existence was already meaningful to
someone else.
                  - This, I think, is an important aspect of what Michael
                  refers to as "our intersubjective engagement with
each other".
                  When these relationships break down (e.g., when I am
                  little more than an *object* in the eyes of the Other),
                  the is-ought distinction collapses with it.
               - All this has stunning implications:  The is-ought problem
         is not really a "philosophical" problem at all.  Or, if you
prefer, there
         are psychosocial conditions that must be met in order for a person to
         participate in this sort of philosophical inquiry.

~ Steve Q.